From: Ant on
"FromTheRafters" wrote:

> I see. I was just reacting to the "as published" .lnk file. The 'as
> published' exploit may have been NT *vector* specific but not actually
> exclusive (once ported) as a demonstatable vulnerability for 9x.

You got me thinking more about this and I did further checks. I don't
believe I did port the POC correctly to 9x - all I did was play around
with the path but left it as unicode. I thought this form of ID list
(PIDL) would be ok for 9x despite not supporting unicode in the API.

It's all a bit confusing because there are many ways to construct a
shortcut. There are different types, e.g. whether a virtual folder or
real directory is in the path, and much of the content is optional.
There are also differences between Win2k and XP in that, even when the
unicode flag is set, real file paths and names in a W2k PIDL use ANSI,
whereas the same on XP contains unicode. This is independent of the
other data in the shorcut which seems always to appear as unicode on
NT based systems.

The 'special' form (it's not a standard way of storing a file path) of
the POC PIDL is in unicode and is ok for NT4, W2k or XP. However, a
similar shortcut (not a POC but a non-standard path) created on 95 is
not unicode. I'm thinking it may well be possible to create an exploit
for 9x (not that anyone is likely to bother) but I don't know enough
about the undocumented internals of shell PIDLs to be able to
duplicate it. The 9x internal structure is somewhat different and just
changing the unicode flag and converting the string to ANSI is not
enough.

From: FromTheRafters on
"Dustin" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in
> @news.eternal-september.org:
>
>>> I could have sworn this exploit had been discussed several years
>>> ago...
>>
>> A decade in the case of format string attacks.
>
> I still blame lazy programmers for that. Seriously, how much more time
> does it take a person to write the code to verify the buffer has
> enough
> room for the string; and to invalidate bad configuration data? :(

All true. I remember writing input validation subroutines, seems the
higher level programming languages allow sloppy programming while
freeing the programmer from the mundane chores of optimizing code.

Anyway, my only reason for the comparison was in how long resulting
'vulnerabilities' existed before being disclosed, not whether or not
they were lazy programming errors or forgotten filetype backward
compatibility functionality.

From: Dustin on

> "Dustin" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in
>> @news.eternal-september.org:

>>> A decade in the case of format string attacks.
>>
>> I still blame lazy programmers for that. Seriously, how much more
>> time does it take a person to write the code to verify the buffer
>> has enough
>> room for the string; and to invalidate bad configuration data? :(
>
> All true. I remember writing input validation subroutines, seems the
> higher level programming languages allow sloppy programming while
> freeing the programmer from the mundane chores of optimizing code.
>
> Anyway, my only reason for the comparison was in how long resulting
> 'vulnerabilities' existed before being disclosed, not whether or not
> they were lazy programming errors or forgotten filetype backward
> compatibility functionality.

Good points... and well taken here.

--
"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. They are so unlike
your Christ." - author unknown.