From: jwebster1979 on
I have a text box in a form that I want to feed into a memo box on the same
form I am having trouble getting this to work in VBA. I imagine that the user
would type their sentance or not in the text box and then click a button and
it would appear in the memo with a time tamp and the sentance. if they did a
new sentance and clicked again it would add to the memo on a new line and
keep any old info. ANy ideas?
From: Douglas J. Steele on
Me.MyMemoField = Me.MyMemoField & _
IIf(Len(Nz(Me.MyMemoField, vbNullString)) > 0, vbCrLf, vbNullString) & _
Me.MyTextField

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 7 May 2010 09:52:14 -0700, jwebster1979
<jwebster1979(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a text box in a form that I want to feed into a memo box on the same
>form I am having trouble getting this to work in VBA. I imagine that the user
>would type their sentance or not in the text box and then click a button and
>it would appear in the memo with a time tamp and the sentance. if they did a
>new sentance and clicked again it would add to the memo on a new line and
>keep any old info. ANy ideas?

If you have some table with many notes, and you want each note timestamped
(and perhaps you also want the notewriter identified), I'd really strongly
suggest a different approach. It's hard to search or sort data in big memo
fields, and just dumping a lot of disparate information into a memo makes it
difficult to work with!

Consider instead having a one to many relationship to a Notes table, with a
foreign key to this table; a NoteTime, default value =Now() to automatically
timestamp it; a Text or Memo field for the note text; and perhaps a NoteBy
field for the author's name or logon ID. You could then have a Subform based
on this notes table.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: jwebster1979 on
Thankyou that works great one more question. I also want a check box that
will turn the text red for a specific note and hold that color to draw
attention to to it. Or if it is not checked the text will be black and hold
that color. Let me know if you know how to do that. Either way I appreciate
your help!!

From: Douglas J. Steele on
Turn all of the text red or black? Look into Conditional Formatting.