From: Truer Info on
On 17 Dec 2009 16:09:33 GMT, Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>Desmond <otuatail(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi can anyone help on tech talk. I was looking at a range of fish eye
>> lens. for Sony A200.
>> I am comming across .18x .42x also HD
>
>> Can someone explain these please
>
>My guess is that you're not looking at complete lenses, but at fish
>eye lens extenders which screw onto the end of an existing lens. If so
>the numbers are the focal length change factors. The effective fish
>eye extended focal length is then the base lens focal length
>multiplied by that factor. You then look up the focal length fields of
>view angles for your camera's sensor size to get the angle of view.
>If so it's not the camera you should be trying to match but the lens
>you're extending. If so note that some of those extenders are of
>pretty dubious image quality.

And some are of excellent quality. I have one marketed at 0.25x, but in
real-world tests it comes out at 0.33x. Still a strong contender as far as
optics go. I have used it on 5 different P&S cameras and in all cases it
has provided full-circle fish-eye views that rival and beat those coming
from a $2,500 Nikkor fish-eye lens in CA and sharpness performance. When
used with the camera's own zoom then it provides exceptional wide-angle
views from 9-11mm full-circle fish-eye frames up to 38mm wide-angle views.
Seamless zoom range from full fish-eye, to ultra-wide-angle, to wide-angle.
Where the camera's own lens then picks up on its own without any adapter.
All without impinging on the camera's own available apertures. All this for
under $100. Try to buy any f/2.0 fish-eye or ultra-wide-angle lens for any
camera at that price and one that works as well. For that performance and
price I'll forgive them their .08x difference in marketing ploys.