From: "Col Day" on
Hi all,

Working with the PHP5 for Dummies book (yup real noob, feel free to ridicule
(after telling me what I've done wrong)) and have installed Apache 2.2 and
PHP 5.3.3 onto a laptop running Vista. (yes I know!!!).

I've had Apache running fine with my basic web site created using Serif's
Webplus10 but wanted to experiment with PHP as I want an uploadable area on
my website for my friends and family to submit video/photos.

I've checked the install of PHP using php -v and I get the output that

PHP 5.3.3 (cli) (built: Jul 21 2010 20:10:20)

but when I try and go to the test.php file (below) I get an http 403 webiste
requires you to log in. Error message.

<head>
<title>PHP Test</title>
</head>
<?php
echo "<p>This is a PHP line</p>";
phpinfo();
?>

This is the text of the test.php file which I have plonked down in
/apache/htdocs

What have I missed?

the Dummies book is quoting PHP 5.0.0 as the latest release so not too far
away really.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Col Day

From: Peter Lind on
On 4 October 2010 11:30, Col Day <colinday3(a)aol.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Working with the PHP5 for Dummies book (yup real noob, feel free to ridicule
> (after telling me what I've done wrong)) and have installed Apache 2.2 and
> PHP 5.3.3 onto a laptop running Vista. (yes I know!!!).
>
> I've had Apache running fine with my basic web site created using Serif's
> Webplus10 but wanted to experiment with PHP as I want an uploadable area on
> my website for my friends and family to submit video/photos.
>
> I've checked the install of PHP using php -v and I get the output that
>
> PHP 5.3.3 (cli) (built: Jul 21 2010 20:10:20)
>
> but when I try and go to the test.php file (below) I get an http 403 webiste
> requires you to log in. Error message.

> <head>
> <title>PHP Test</title>
> </head>
> <?php
> echo "<p>This is a PHP line</p>";
> phpinfo();
> ?>
>
> This is the text of the test.php file which I have plonked down in
> /apache/htdocs
>
> What have I missed?
>
> the Dummies book is quoting PHP 5.0.0 as the latest release so not too far
> away really.

A) v5.0.0 is years old. B) your issue is with apache, not php - 403 is
a "you have no permission to see this".

Check permissions for the file you're trying to test, as well as for
the folder. Also, seeing as you're naming the file test.php, make sure
you're browsing for that file and not just / or index.php.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: kranthi on
apache error logs will be helpful in this case. Their location varies
depending upon your installation. But in any case they'll be insde
your server directory (IIRC it is c:/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache by default)
From: Abah Joseph on
Your directory configuration should look like this

<Directory "C:\path_to_www_root">
Order Deny,Allow
Allow from all

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI

#
# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
# Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#
AllowOverride All
</Directory>

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM, kranthi <kranthi117(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> apache error logs will be helpful in this case. Their location varies
> depending upon your installation. But in any case they'll be insde
> your server directory (IIRC it is c:/Program Files/Apache Software
> Foundation/Apache by default)

Share with free mind!
Join the world largest open forum for hackers and programmers.
http://www.tuwana.com
From: "Col Day" on
Kranthi
Many thanks, any idea on the name of the error logs?

Peter,
Yes, browsing to the correct location but still getting the 403. this
website requires you to log in.

Abah,

I've gone to the httpd-userdir.conf file and replaced it with your text (not
including the directory tree), restarted apache (after each change) but am
still getting the same error.

However I have found that if I paste the html into my web page created by
Serif WebPlus 10 I get the "html" line but not the "php" line.

Any further thoughts?

It has to be something simple that I'vw not done!

Cheers all.