From: xix on
This game is an X windows version of the old 1980s QIX game.

C++ source code is available from:

http://www.ogham.demon.co.uk/zips/xix121.tgz

It was developed on Linux but has also been compiled tested on FreeBSD, MacOS/X
and OSF/1 (using gcc).

It only requires standard Xlib so you won't need to hunt around for some
obscure graphics library to get it to compile.

NR

From: Erik Max Francis on
KR wrote:
> On 21.01.2010 15:41, xix(a)xix.space wrote:
>> This game is an X windows version of the old 1980s QIX game.
>>
>> C++ source code is available from:
>>
>> http://www.ogham.demon.co.uk/zips/xix121.tgz
>
> Very nice!
>
> I remember playing a variation of this game ("Styx" on the C64, I
> believe) many years ago, where you didn't immediately lose when the
> "enemies" walking the edge of the area touched the line you were making.
>
> Instead, this triggered a "bomb" moving along the line towards you at
> rougly twice your speed. If you managed to complete the area before the
> bomb reached you, it would simply disappear.

This isn't completely original either. The fuse was in the original
Qix, but it was triggered when you had started tracing out an area but
temporarily stopped (it travelled at some multiple of your normal
tracing speed, so you couldn't rest long).

> Also, you could hold down a key/button to move faster, but this would
> reduce the amount of points gained when the area was completed.
>
> It made the game slightly easier, but no less frantic on the later levels.

Probably that's what you're remembering; having the fuse start when your
line is actually touched by the bad guys would make it way too easy.

--
Erik Max Francis && max(a)alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis
From: xix on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:48:35 +0100
KR <kristian.rasmussen(a)broadpark.no.spam.com> wrote:
>On 21.01.2010 15:41, xix(a)xix.space wrote:
>> This game is an X windows version of the old 1980s QIX game.
>>
>> C++ source code is available from:
>>
>> http://www.ogham.demon.co.uk/zips/xix121.tgz
>
>Very nice!

Glad you liked it :)

>I remember playing a variation of this game ("Styx" on the C64, I
>believe) many years ago, where you didn't immediately lose when the
>"enemies" walking the edge of the area touched the line you were making.

I had considered making the enemies in my game move along the line you
were drawing but decided in the end it made the game more tense if you
died as soon as they touched it.

>Also, you could hold down a key/button to move faster, but this would
>reduce the amount of points gained when the area was completed.

Something like that was in the original game but I didn't think it added
much to the gameplay so I didn't include it.