From: Larry Lindstrom on
i Folks:

Developing C++ on VS 2008 Pro, XP Pro, Win32.

I have a client that recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7
Ultimate, 32 bit, on his laptop.

I recommended he get Ultimate so I could run Remote Desktop over
the Internet. This is before I actually tried using Remote Desktop.

After getting Remote Desktop up, I see that I really want, to help
my client, is Remote Assistant.

Both Remote Desktop and Remote Assistant are now running fine with
two XP PCs on my LAN, using my Internet address, to connect.

I've cobbled together port numbers requiring NATting to get Remote
Desktop and Remote Assistant working, and VPN to connect without
complaint. But I'm guessing on what I need to NAT.

Can someone point me at a resource that will tell me exactly which
ports are required for each of these three types of sessions?

In my tests, I'm NATing these ports to my helper's PC, and starting
a help session by clicking on an attachment sent by my client. Does
this mean I won't have to talk the client through the task of NATing
ports on their firewall? That would be great.

If I open a VPN to an IP address, then start a Remote Desktop, or
Remote Assistant, to the same address, am I running on the VPN? Or do
I need to do something to attach the session to the VPN?

Thanks
Larry
From: Larry Lindstrom on
On May 21, 9:08 am, Larry Lindstrom <larryl_tu...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> i Folks:

Oops, that should have been "Hi".

When I'm running remote assistant I see a message in the upper left
corner, in green text. "Screen view Only".

I also see a grayed out button that says "Stop Control".

I was under the impression that the helper could not control the
other computer. Is that incorrect?

My OpenGL graphics, currently just an animated splash screen,
doesn't display properly. Both systems are running ATI onboard
graphics adapters. The helper has a Radion X1200 and the other a
Radion Xpress 200. Is there a way to get the graphics displaying
better? Would Direct3D graphics look better?

Thanks Again
Larry
From: Larry Lindstrom on
On May 21, 9:08 am, Larry Lindstrom <larryl_tu...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Again:

That didn't go too well.

My client had the Remote Assistant program save the invitation to a
file, and he then sent it to me in an attachment. I clicked on the
attachment's link and entered the password he gave me.

After a few seconds a window popped up with the following error:

A Remote Assistance connection could not be established. You
may
want to check for network issues or determine if the invitation
expired or was canceled by the person who sent it.

My client reported seeing this on his computer:

Windows Remote Assistance

Give your helper the invitation file and password.

A remote assistance invitation has been opened.

Waiting for incoming connection.

He told me some buttons were also in the window, but grayed out.

I attempted several times to open the connection, with no luck.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Larry
From: Jim on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:01:39 -0700 (PDT), Larry Lindstrom
<larryl_turbo(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On May 21, 9:08�am, Larry Lindstrom <larryl_tu...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Again:
>
> That didn't go too well.
>
> My client had the Remote Assistant program save the invitation to a
>file, and he then sent it to me in an attachment. I clicked on the
>attachment's link and entered the password he gave me.
>
> After a few seconds a window popped up with the following error:
>
> A Remote Assistance connection could not be established. You
>may
> want to check for network issues or determine if the invitation
> expired or was canceled by the person who sent it.
>
> My client reported seeing this on his computer:
>
> Windows Remote Assistance
>
> Give your helper the invitation file and password.
>
> A remote assistance invitation has been opened.
>
> Waiting for incoming connection.
>
> He told me some buttons were also in the window, but grayed out.
>
> I attempted several times to open the connection, with no luck.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Larry

Try
http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
From: Larry Lindstrom on
On May 22, 8:41 am, Jim <bojimbo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:01:39 -0700 (PDT), Larry Lindstrom
>

> <larryl_tu...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On May 21, 9:08 am, Larry Lindstrom <larryl_tu...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Again:
>
> >   That didn't go too well.
> >   Suggestions?
>
> >                       Thanks
> >                       Larry
>
> Tryhttp://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Thanks Jim:

$700 is a bit out of my reach right now. Any idea about connecting
the free Remote Assistant?

Do I need to mess with the domain name or the hardware firewall on
the client's system.

He's using Wi-Fi on his laptop, so I suppose he has some kind of
router/firewall on his line.

Thanks
Larry