From: melipone on
Hi!
I hope this group is not overtaken by spam!
Could you point me to some tutorials or books on writing a Firefox
plugin that would capture which page is loaded and extract some
information from the content of the page?

TIA
melipone
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
melipone wrote:

> I hope this group is not overtaken by spam!

More like by "newbies" asking for "info" who were too lazy or stupid to do
their homework before. Unfortunately, those postings cannot be filtered as
easily.

> Could you point me to some tutorials or books on writing a Firefox
> plugin that would capture which page is loaded and extract some
> information from the content of the page?

Google is your friend. [psf 6.1]

<http://jibbering.com/faq/#posting> pp.

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
From: Scott Sauyet on
On Feb 25, 2:12 pm, melipone <labwor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you point me to some tutorials or books on writing a Firefox
> plugin that would capture which page is loaded and extract some
> information from the content of the page?

http://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+plugin+development

Easy enough...

-- Scott
From: Mike Duffy on
Scott Sauyet <scott.sauyet(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:9e48bd8f-3773-468b-
b0f5-cf839eef516c(a)x22g2000yqx.googlegroups.com:

> On Feb 25, 2:12�pm, melipone <labwor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could you point me to some tutorials or books on writing a Firefox
>> plugin that would capture which page is loaded and extract some
>> information from the content of the page?
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+plugin+development

You can use an existing FF plugin called "Greasemonkey". You can
program it to do exactly what you want.
From: Jeremy J Starcher on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:52:36 +0000, Mike Duffy wrote:

> Scott Sauyet <scott.sauyet(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:9e48bd8f-3773-468b-
> b0f5-cf839eef516c(a)x22g2000yqx.googlegroups.com:
>
>> On Feb 25, 2:12 pm, melipone <labwor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Could you point me to some tutorials or books on writing a Firefox
>>> plugin that would capture which page is loaded and extract some
>>> information from the content of the page?
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+plugin+development
>
> You can use an existing FF plugin called "Greasemonkey". You can program
> it to do exactly what you want.

+1 to GreaseMonkey.

It lets you write standard Javascript that operates upon any web page
without having to worry about the rest of the plugin structure.
Depending on how complex your script is, it can run on many other
browsers, including IE, SeaMonkey, Opera...