From: Sylvain Robitaille on
Mike Jones wrote:

> Why is it the default?
> Why not change it accordingly in the next release?

Questions for Patrick Volkerding, I suspect ...

Sylvain Robitaille syl(a)encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
From: HoneyMonster on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:12:47 +0000, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

> Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> Why is it the default?
>> Why not change it accordingly in the next release?
>
> Questions for Patrick Volkerding, I suspect ...

Thanks to all who responded. I can see that this newsgroup has a number
of knowledgeable and helpful posters. That's encouraging!
From: Dan C on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:50:43 +0000, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

> HoneyMonster wrote:
>
>> I notice that by default, for non-root users, the current directory is
>> put into the path. I'm not sure that's a good idea, so I edited /etc/
>> profile and commented out that part.
>>
>> Two questions: Is my concern warranted, and is that the 'best practice'
>> fix?
>
> Yes and yes.
>
> As has been pointed out, Slackware puts '.' at the *end* of the path so
> under normal circumstances it shouldn't cause harm, but that's not to
> say it wouldn't still be better to not have it there at all. The exact
> change you made is among the first things I do after a fresh system
> installation.

Me too.

</AOL>

"Bother!" said Pooh, as his U-Boat sank another hospital ship.
From: Jim Diamond on
On 2010-07-16 at 18:54 ADT, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:21:01 -0300, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond(a)nospam.AcadiaU.ca> wrote:

>>In my case I create a lot of programs which I run from the current
>>directory, so typing './' all the time would be a nuisance. I don't
>>let evil people have accounts on my personal machines, and I don't
>>spend a lot of time poking around in other directories on "public"
>>machines, so I'm willing to accept the risk. But certainly anyone who
>>rarely or never wants to execute a program in the current directory
>>might sleep better at night without '.' in their PATH.
>
> In an odd twist, I know the dot is sitting there on my user path, but
> I still put the ./ in front of scripts sitting in my home dir. Tab
> expansion then knows that you're seeking an executable file.

?? Tab expansion works on my system with without using the './'.
Are you sure it doesn't work on your system (given that you have '.'
in your PATH)?

Cheers.
Jim
From: Grant on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 22:51:14 -0300, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond(a)deletethis.AcadiaU.ca> wrote:

>On 2010-07-16 at 18:54 ADT, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:21:01 -0300, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond(a)nospam.AcadiaU.ca> wrote:
>
>>>In my case I create a lot of programs which I run from the current
>>>directory, so typing './' all the time would be a nuisance. I don't
>>>let evil people have accounts on my personal machines, and I don't
>>>spend a lot of time poking around in other directories on "public"
>>>machines, so I'm willing to accept the risk. But certainly anyone who
>>>rarely or never wants to execute a program in the current directory
>>>might sleep better at night without '.' in their PATH.
>>
>> In an odd twist, I know the dot is sitting there on my user path, but
>> I still put the ./ in front of scripts sitting in my home dir. Tab
>> expansion then knows that you're seeking an executable file.
>
>?? Tab expansion works on my system with without using the './'.
>Are you sure it doesn't work on your system (given that you have '.'
>in your PATH)?

Oh, it works fine, but if you put ./ in front, the tab expander
ignores non-exec files, sometimes handy?

Grant.