From: Jim Diamond on
On 2010-07-16 at 23:35 ADT, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 22:51:14 -0300, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond(a)deletethis.AcadiaU.ca> wrote:

>>> In an odd twist, I know the dot is sitting there on my user path, but
>>> I still put the ./ in front of scripts sitting in my home dir. Tab
>>> expansion then knows that you're seeking an executable file.
>>
>>?? Tab expansion works on my system with without using the './'.
>>Are you sure it doesn't work on your system (given that you have '.'
>>in your PATH)?
>
> Oh, it works fine, but if you put ./ in front, the tab expander
> ignores non-exec files, sometimes handy?

Grant,

maybe it isn't worth flogging this to death, but I am curious about
what you mean. Assuming you want the tab expansion feature (of, I
presume, bash) to expand the first token of a command line (i.e., the
program to run), then (at least in my tests) bash won't auto-complete
a non-executable file either with or without './'. Is something
different happening on your system?

Cheers.
Jim
From: Jim Diamond on
On 2010-07-17 at 20:19 ADT, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:03:05 -0300, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond(a)deletethis.AcadiaU.ca> wrote:

>>> Oh, it works fine, but if you put ./ in front, the tab expander
>>> ignores non-exec files, sometimes handy?
>>
>>Grant,
>>
>>maybe it isn't worth flogging this to death, but I am curious about
>>what you mean. Assuming you want the tab expansion feature (of, I
>>presume, bash) to expand the first token of a command line (i.e., the
>>program to run), then (at least in my tests) bash won't auto-complete
>>a non-executable file either with or without './'. Is something
>>different happening on your system?
>
> I should keep to my normal habit of providing an example ;)
>
> Here I've cd'd to particular dir that contains all the scripts
> and data files for reading the regional registrars and building
> a new IP to country code database. The update script is called
> 'refresh', oddly enough :)
>
> Without the ./, I get for 're<tab>':
>
> grant(a)deltree:~/ip2c$ re
> read rec rename resolveip
> readcd recode-sr-latin renice restorefont
> readelf red replace restorepalette
> readlink ref reset restoretextmode
> readmsg refer resize return
> readonly refresh resizecons rev
> readprofile remsync resolve_stack_dump revpath
>
> See? Junk from all over the filesystem :(
>
> But with the ./, I get exactly what I want, './re<tab>':
>
> grant(a)deltree:~/ip2c$ ./refresh
>
> Difference now is that the tab completion only looks in here for
> the executable -- hmm, perhaps I explained it poorly upthread?

Perhaps. When you said
>>> Oh, it works fine, but if you put ./ in front, the tab expander
>>> ignores non-exec files, sometimes handy?
I think you should have said
ignores system programs, sometimes handy?
or maybe
ignores programs in $PATH, sometimes handy?

Anyway, I now know what you were talking about.

Cheers.
Jim
From: Grant on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:08:59 -0300, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond(a)deletethis.AcadiaU.ca> wrote:

>On 2010-07-17 at 20:19 ADT, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>>>Grant,
>>>
>>>maybe it isn't worth flogging this to death, but I am curious about
>>>what you mean. Assuming you want the tab expansion feature (of, I
>>>presume, bash) to expand the first token of a command line (i.e., the
>>>program to run), then (at least in my tests) bash won't auto-complete
>>>a non-executable file either with or without './'. Is something
>>>different happening on your system?
>>
>> I should keep to my normal habit of providing an example ;)
>>
>> Here I've cd'd to particular dir that contains all the scripts
>> and data files for reading the regional registrars and building
>> a new IP to country code database. The update script is called
>> 'refresh', oddly enough :)
>>
>> Without the ./, I get for 're<tab>':
>>
>> grant(a)deltree:~/ip2c$ re
>> read rec rename resolveip
>> readcd recode-sr-latin renice restorefont
>> readelf red replace restorepalette
>> readlink ref reset restoretextmode
>> readmsg refer resize return
>> readonly refresh resizecons rev
>> readprofile remsync resolve_stack_dump revpath
>>
>> See? Junk from all over the filesystem :(
>>
>> But with the ./, I get exactly what I want, './re<tab>':
>>
>> grant(a)deltree:~/ip2c$ ./refresh
>>
>> Difference now is that the tab completion only looks in here for
>> the executable -- hmm, perhaps I explained it poorly upthread?
>
>Perhaps. When you said
>I think you should have said
> ignores system programs, sometimes handy?
>or maybe
> ignores programs in $PATH, sometimes handy?

Yes, persistence is good when you're after an explanation :)

Thanks for clarifying.

>Anyway, I now know what you were talking about.

That's good, 'cos I'll likely forget again.

Can you imagine the wonderfully concise, clear, unambiguous user
manuals I used to write? Mud, clear as.

Grant.
From: Loki Harfagr on
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:50:09 +1000, Grant did cat :

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:08:59 -0300, Jim Diamond
> <Jim.Diamond(a)deletethis.AcadiaU.ca> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-07-17 at 20:19 ADT, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>>> I should keep to my normal habit of providing an example ;)
>>>
>>> Here I've cd'd to particular dir that contains all the scripts and
>>> data files for reading the regional registrars and building a new IP
>>> to country code database. The update script is called 'refresh',
>>> oddly enough :)
>>>
>>> Without the ./, I get for 're<tab>':
>>>
>>> grant(a)deltree:~/ip2c$ re
>>> read rec rename resolveip
>>> readcd recode-sr-latin renice
>>> restorefont readelf red replace
>>> restorepalette readlink ref reset
>>> restoretextmode readmsg refer resize
>>> return readonly refresh resizecons
>>> rev readprofile remsync resolve_stack_dump
>>> revpath
>>>
>>> See? Junk from all over the filesystem :(
>>>
>>> But with the ./, I get exactly what I want, './re<tab>':
>>>
>>> grant(a)deltree:~/ip2c$ ./refresh
>>>
>>> Difference now is that the tab completion only looks in here for the
>>> executable -- hmm, perhaps I explained it poorly upthread?
>>
>>Perhaps. When you said
>>I think you should have said
>> ignores system programs, sometimes handy?
>>or maybe
>> ignores programs in $PATH, sometimes handy?
>
> Yes, persistence is good when you're after an explanation :)
>
> Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>Anyway, I now know what you were talking about.
>
> That's good, 'cos I'll likely forget again.
>
> Can you imagine the wonderfully concise, clear, unambiguous user manuals
> I used to write? Mud, clear as.

probably cristalline if compared to some projects comments I wrote in the 80s
until that day, perfect day, when I was put in charge of remodeling one
of these previous devs. After a few days of sweat, fever, and shakes struggling
my own ancient comments I finally almost fully made up the remodeling out of
the blue after rev-eng. the code but that time I added plain clear and contextual
as well as functional comments (at least I hope so) :D)
From: Grant on