From: CrackerJack on
It is not uncommon to see 25-30% failure rates on reviews of many drives at Newegg. I have wondered
if this is MFG issue or related the shipping methods or bogus reviews.

I have purchased Seagate, WD and Hitachi drives and have had no failures. Some were shipped in
the bubblewrap and some in the original box.

If you have purchased a drive from Newegg in the last year that failed, what brand was it and
how was it shipped? UPS/FEDX/USPS... bubble wrapped or OEM box?

cj

From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on
> I have purchased Seagate, WD and Hitachi drives and have had no failures. Some were shipped in
> the bubblewrap and some in the original box.

Have you ever tested Samsung's hard disks?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
From: John Doe on
CrackerJack <CrackerJack home.net> wrote:

> It is not uncommon to see 25-30% failure rates on reviews of
> many drives at Newegg. I have wondered if this is MFG issue or
> related the shipping methods or bogus reviews.

There are plenty of bogus reviews on Newegg, but... The percentage of
negative reviews is always greater than than the actual percentage of
problems among the entire purchasing population. You need more
information, like how many were actually sold, before you come to the
conclusion that there is an issue with hard drives or that the
reviews are bogus.
From: Jan Alter on
"John Doe" <jdoe(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message
> CrackerJack <CrackerJack home.net> wrote:
>
>> It is not uncommon to see 25-30% failure rates on reviews of
>> many drives at Newegg. I have wondered if this is MFG issue or
>> related the shipping methods or bogus reviews.
>
> There are plenty of bogus reviews on Newegg, but... The percentage of
> negative reviews is always greater than than the actual percentage of
> problems among the entire purchasing population. You need more
> information, like how many were actually sold, before you come to the
> conclusion that there is an issue with hard drives or that the
> reviews are bogus.

> There are plenty of bogus reviews on Newegg,

On Newegg I've seen poorly written reviews by the author, detrimental
reviews, positive reviews, reviews that are rants.

How do you determine that a review is bogus?
Do you have any proof that the review is made up ?
Can you cite one example?

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: VanguardLH on
CrackerJack wrote:

> It is not uncommon to see 25-30% failure rates on reviews of many drives at Newegg. I have wondered
> if this is MFG issue or related the shipping methods or bogus reviews.

And these professed comprehensive statistics are noted where?

> I have purchased Seagate, WD and Hitachi drives and have had no failures. Some were shipped in
> the bubblewrap and some in the original box.
>
> If you have purchased a drive from Newegg in the last year that failed, what brand was it and
> how was it shipped? UPS/FEDX/USPS... bubble wrapped or OEM box?

You expected to get the retail packaging when purchasing an OEM product?
Their ads specify whether the product is a retail or OEM version.

The shipper is YOUR choice: FedEx or UPS (USPS is not listed as an
option unless perhaps they are forced to use USPS for APO/FPO military).