From: Mok-Kong Shen on

The first synthetic bacterial cell has been created by scientists at the
J. Craig Venter Institute, according to a press release of Synthetic
Genomics Inc. See:
http://www.syntheticgenomics.com/media/press/051910.html

What could be the future impact of this colossal breakthrough on crypto?
(Factorization etc. via DNA computing?)

M. K. Shen
From: adacrypt on
On May 21, 9:26 pm, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> The first synthetic bacterial cell has been created by scientists at the
> J. Craig Venter Institute, according to a press release of Synthetic
> Genomics Inc. See:http://www.syntheticgenomics.com/media/press/051910.html
>
> What could be the future impact of this colossal breakthrough on crypto?
> (Factorization etc. via DNA computing?)
>
> M. K. Shen

< What could be the future impact of this colossal breakthrough on
crypto?
< (Factorization etc. via DNA computing?)

Congratulations.

I like this tangential thinking i.e. an analogue of DNA technology
applied to crypto that you suggest as a long shot exploration is par
for the course in design crypto work - however probable or improbable
it may be that it would lead to new crypto ciphers is not a question
- This is the attitude that is badly needed in cryptology today.

This is the first piece of original exploratory thinking I have ever
seen in sci crypt apart from my own ventures - instead of that we are
getting re-runs of bad movies by way of clapped out defunct
mathematics that just won't be allowed to go away.

Bovine addiction to something they know while also knowing it has no
hope of being succesful but good 'matey' party jargon. - Cheers -
adacrypt
From: Dave -Turner on
Leonard Adelman has already done something vaguely along these lines, its
too late on a Sat night after a wedding for me to check now, but it was
mentioned in Applied Cryptography

From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Dave -Turner wrote:
> Leonard Adelman has already done something vaguely along these lines, its
> too late on a Sat night after a wedding for me to check now, but it was
> mentioned in Applied Cryptography

I guess that one major breakthrough in techniques is that the
scientists are now able to freely generate an arbitrary genome,
i.e. entirely independent of what is available naturally.

M. K. Shen

From: Dave -Turner on
To expand on that - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Adleman

In 1994, his paper Molecular Computation of Solutions To Combinatorial
Problems described the experimental use of DNA as a computational system. In
it, he solved a seven-node instance of the Hamiltonian Graph problem, an
NP-complete problem similar to the travelling salesman problem. While the
solution to a seven-node instance is trivial, this paper is the first known
instance of the successful use of DNA to compute an algorithm. DNA computing
has been shown to have potential as a means to solve several other
large-scale combinatorial search problems.

In 2002, he and his research group managed to solve a 'nontrivial' problem
using DNA computation. Specifically, they solved a 20-variable 3-SAT problem
having more than 1 million potential solutions. They did it in a manner
similar to the one Adleman used in his seminal 1994 paper. First, a mixture
of DNA strands logically representative of the problem's solution space was
synthesized. This mixture was then operated upon algorithmically using
biochemical techniques to winnow out the 'incorrect' strands, leaving behind
only those strands that 'satisfied' the problem. Analysis of the nucleotide
sequence of these remaining strands revealed 'correct' solutions to the
original problem.