From: Brian Cryer on
This might be a long shot, but I'm looking for a C# or VB.Net newsgroup
server complete with source code which I can use and customise as the basis
for a project I'm contemplating. This would save me considerable time over
starting from scratch.

TIA.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: Willem van Rumpt on
Brian Cryer wrote:
> This might be a long shot, but I'm looking for a C# or VB.Net newsgroup
> server complete with source code which I can use and customise as the
> basis for a project I'm contemplating. This would save me considerable
> time over starting from scratch.
>
> TIA.

I see on your website you also work with Delphi. If the language (C# or
VB.NET) is not a hard requirement, you could take a look at Hamster.

http://www.arcorhome.de/newshamster/tgl/misc/hamster_en.html

I use it for testing my own NNTP client, and it works pretty well,
supporting RFC997, and a large subset of RFC2980 and RFC3977.

--
Willem van Rumpt
From: Brian Cryer on
"Willem van Rumpt" <nothing(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Brian Cryer wrote:
>> This might be a long shot, but I'm looking for a C# or VB.Net newsgroup
>> server complete with source code which I can use and customise as the
>> basis for a project I'm contemplating. This would save me considerable
>> time over starting from scratch.
>>
>> TIA.
>
> I see on your website you also work with Delphi. If the language (C# or
> VB.NET) is not a hard requirement, you could take a look at Hamster.
>
> http://www.arcorhome.de/newshamster/tgl/misc/hamster_en.html
>
> I use it for testing my own NNTP client, and it works pretty well,
> supporting RFC997, and a large subset of RFC2980 and RFC3977.

I'm tending to develop less with Delphi these days, as so much of my work is
now focused on VB.Net (sometimes C#). So I'm hoping to use VB.Net for this
project.

Thank you for this, it will be useful - at the very least it will let me see
how someone else has approached it.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Don't you know this one?

http://www.indyproject.org/Sockets/index.en.aspx

From: Brian Cryer on
"Cor Ligthert[MVP]" <Notmyfirstname(a)planet.nl> wrote in message
> Don't you know this one?
>
> http://www.indyproject.org/Sockets/index.en.aspx

The last time I looked at Indy (I wanted to read from a NNTP server then)
the .NET stuff was incomplete. Fine for Delphi (no, "excellent" for Delphi)
but not for much else. The .NET support is supposedly a rewrite, but is
sadly incomplete. Thank you for the suggestion though.

If I were to use Delphi with this then I'd probably use Indy, but I really
want to go VB.Net or C#. Either way, I've got plenty of time to research
this before I start.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian