From: John Robertson on
A raging mob of s.e.r. computer geeks tracked down and destroyed the
credit ratings of a notorious newsgroup spammer recently.

The spammer may not even be aware of the attack as it is likely to show
up in ways unexpected. However they left such an easy trail in their
postings that even a neophyte could track 'em.

Details on the evening news @ http://www.youareaspamtwit04fools.com

John ;-#)#

From: Adrian C on
On 12/06/2010 18:15, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

>> Firefox is linked (strategically) to Google, not Yahoo...
>

> Really? Then why did I have to wander all through a local business
> to change the default search engine from Yahoo to Google on every
> install of Firefox?

Java runtime install :-(

--
Adrian C
From: David Nebenzahl on
On 6/12/2010 12:24 PM Adrian C spake thus:

> On 12/06/2010 18:15, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
>
>>> Firefox is linked (strategically) to Google, not Yahoo...
>>
>> Really? Then why did I have to wander all through a local business
>> to change the default search engine from Yahoo to Google on every
>> install of Firefox?
>
> Java runtime install :-(

So you're saying that installing Java somehow makes Yahoo! the default
address for certain Firefox functions?

Lovely, just lovely.

-

From: David Nebenzahl on
On 6/12/2010 5:05 AM PeterD spake thus:

> Firefox is linked (strategically) to Google, not Yahoo...

So may be you, or someone else, can help me here. Using about:config, I
see the following configuration items that have "yahoo" in them:

browser.search.order.Yahoo:
chrome://branding/content/searchconfig.properties
browser.search.order.Yahoo.1:
chrome://branding/content/searchconfig.properties
browser.search.order.Yahoo.2:
chrome://branding/content/searchconfig.properties
browser.search.param.yahoo-f-CN:
D3_g
browser.search.param.yahoo-fr:
moz2
browser.search.param.yahoo-fr-cjkt:
moz2

I don't really know what these "preferences" mean or what the values
mean. Is there some way I can tweak my configuration items so that
Yahoo! is no longer my default *anything*?

From: Bob Pownall on
David Nebenzahl wrote:

> So you're saying that installing Java somehow makes Yahoo! the default
> address for certain Firefox functions?
>
> Lovely, just lovely.

IIRC, when you install Java, one of the decision points will, by
default, make Yahoo! your default search engine. If you uncheck the box
on the page, nothing changes.

Pretty simple fix, but you have to be paying attention to the questions
you're being asked and not just blindly click "Yes/Accept" to every prompt.

Bob Pownall