From: Gary Brown on
I read the thread that Microsofot is discontinuing this newsgroup in favor of
a Forum
format. The thread said that the newsgroups are being used less and less
and the forums are being used more and more. So I went to the Microsoft
Forums.
I could only find one for Excel - 'Excel for Developers' Forum
[http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exceldev/threads?prof=required&ppud=4].
I have 2 questions.
1) Is it true about June 1st being the drop-dead date for this newsgroup?
2) Does anyone know which Microsoft Forums they're talking about where we
Excel oriented people can hang out?

--
Gary Brown

From: FSt1 on
this is the one i was directed to.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeexcel
i'm not impressed.

Regards
FSt1

From: Gary''s Student on
Another one for VBA:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/isvvba/threads
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201003

From: JLGWhiz on
Unless MS has something that they have not unveiled, that is their
replacement for the newsgroups. Like you, I was not all that overwhelmed
but with time, maybe it can develop into something. I like the chat room
environment much better.

From: Martin Brown on
On 25/05/2010 14:09, Gary Brown wrote:
> I read the thread that Microsofot is discontinuing this newsgroup in favor of
> a Forum
> format. The thread said that the newsgroups are being used less and less
> and the forums are being used more and more. So I went to the Microsoft
> Forums.

Wait and see :-)

The MickeySoft NNTP server may well be turned off and cease to exist on
1 Jun1 2010 but I expect that is just about all that happens. I doubt
they will be able to cancel their newsgroups existing on all the global
newservers (and even if they tried how many would honour cancels?).

It is easy to create newsgroups but very hard to remove them!

> I could only find one for Excel - 'Excel for Developers' Forum
> [http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exceldev/threads?prof=required&ppud=4].
> I have 2 questions.
> 1) Is it true about June 1st being the drop-dead date for this newsgroup?
> 2) Does anyone know which Microsoft Forums they're talking about where we
> Excel oriented people can hang out?

Stay around here at least until traffic completely expires.

Regards,
Martin Brown