From: antipodean.lower.mammal on
It occurs to me that I've been using FreeAgent for so long, that
something better might have passed me by.

Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative freeware
newsreaders that they like? Maybe some details as to why they like em?

Remove FAKE to email me
From: Mike Dee on
antipodean.lower.mammal(a)FAKEgmail.com wrote in

> It occurs to me that I've been using FreeAgent for so long, that
> something better might have passed me by.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative freeware
> newsreaders that they like? Maybe some details as to why they like
> em?

I prefer Xnews avove all I've tried...

However, if you've been using Agent for so long, you might take a look
at Xananews.
http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/xananews.htm

The big difference between Agent and Xananews that springs to mind
here, is xananews is freeware. And friendly.

--
dee
From: Mike Dee on
antipodean.lower.mammal(a)FAKEgmail.com wrote in

> It occurs to me that I've been using FreeAgent for so long, that
> something better might have passed me by.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative freeware
> newsreaders that they like? Maybe some details as to why they like
> em?

I prefer Xnews above all I've tried...

From: HVS on
On 16 Sep 2006, wrote

> It occurs to me that I've been using FreeAgent for so long,
> that something better might have passed me by.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative freeware
> newsreaders that they like? Maybe some details as to why they
> like em?

I've used XNews for years. I've tried others, but there are two
minor -- but killer -- features for me that always seem to be
lacking in them.

1. I like to display the threaded list of posts and the message
pane vertically/side by side -- it means a longer vertical display
for the message text, and thus less scrolling. (Most of the other
newsreaders I've tried insist upon a horizontal division.)

2. There's an "auto-sizing" feature, which by hitting "Enter"
toggles between most of the screen devoted to the threaded list and
most of it for the message pane. I've not seen that in another
one, and I'd really, really, really miss it as a feature.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
From: James UK on
Mike Dee leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before typing in alt.comp.freeware:

> I prefer Xnews avove all I've tried...

Seconded. Best I've found for me too.

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

Also check out the "test" version, rather than the latest stable release;

http://xnews.newsguy.com/test/

HTH

Regards

--