From: Jethro Pull on
On 4/1/2010 4:40 PM, David wrote:
> Nikon has basically said on their web site that there will not be any
> Windows 64 bit drivers for their film scanners and to buy Vuescan
> instead from Hamrick software. I find this somewhat arrogant on their
> part.
>
> David

I am not a professional but use my Nikon SuperCoolScan 5000 a lot
scanning slides and film for our local historical society. My computer
(self built) is Win7, 64 bit, CoreI7 processor.

Found the driver for my Nikon at the Nikon site, thanks to VueScan whose
program knew enough to get it. Here's the URL

http://www.fixya.com/support/t481593-drivers_nikon_ls_5000_ed

Thought Nikon had abandoned me, but now the device works.

Another question: What dip is recommended when I scan 35mm negatives and
color slides for archival purposes?

TIA.

From: Barry Watzman on
But, in fact, while I agree that some of the Epson scanners can match
the Nikon scanners in quality, I'm not aware of either a bulk slide
feeder for the Epson products or an APS scanning capability.

I am in the group that is sad to see this happen, and that believes that
Nikon left this market far too early, leaving no viable products
remaining for certain functions.

From: Barry Watzman on
The real limitation of the Epson products ... which most seem to agree
are the only real competitors to the Nikon products ... are not in
quality, they are in media handling. The issues isn't results; it's the
effort required to get those results, specifically media handling. The
Nikon products offered a bulk slide feeder, while the Epson products not
only don't, but scanning 35mm film (either slides or negatives) on a
flatbed scanner is, frankly, a PITA. And I don't think that the Epson
product have any capability for handling APS film in it's cartridge at all.

Toni Nikkanen wrote:

>> I am in the group that is sad to see this happen, and that believes
>> that Nikon left this market far too early, leaving no viable products
>> remaining for certain functions.
>
> Indeed, such a damn shame.
>
> If there appeared a flatbed that's like the Epson V750, but with a focus function and the
> ability to scan IR with the same pass as RGB, I guess I could live with that.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Seek Fiche to PDF
Next: Canoscan 9900F drivers problem