From: Jack Rabbitt on
Hi All,

I use an XDA Orbit, running WM6.

I have recently added some POP3 email addresses (Not MSexchange ) they work
fine and download etc..

My only problem is that the phone doesnt seem to `wake-up` when a new email
comes in.

Like, When I get a new SMS, the phone wakes up from standby/sleep mode, so
then i can see the bubble on the screen. I dont get this with email, but i
do get the audio?

Is there a registry setting or something im missing to get the phone to wake
up when i get a new email notificaton?

Thanks

From: Beverly Howard on
SMS is "push" ...messages are "pushed" to the phone by your provider.

Pop is "pull" ...the software goes out and "pulls" what it finds on the
mail server based on what your check email settings are.

You can set each account to check at short intervals or look at using an
Exchange server sync which provides "push" email.

fwiw, Google sync provides free "push" for any gmail account. You can
also setup a "leave on server" pop account with "rules" on your home or
office computer to forward email headers to your sms address to prompt
you to go and "pull" the entire email from the pop3 account.

Might want to review your data plan before you start letting machines
run up the phone bill.

Beverly Howard
From: Jack Rabbitt on

"Beverly Howard" <Bev(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message
> SMS is "push" ...messages are "pushed" to the phone by your provider.
>
> Pop is "pull" ...the software goes out and "pulls" what it finds on the
> mail server based on what your check email settings are.
>
> You can set each account to check at short intervals or look at using an
> Exchange server sync which provides "push" email.
>
> fwiw, Google sync provides free "push" for any gmail account. You can
> also setup a "leave on server" pop account with "rules" on your home or
> office computer to forward email headers to your sms address to prompt you
> to go and "pull" the entire email from the pop3 account.
>
> Might want to review your data plan before you start letting machines run
> up the phone bill.
>
> Beverly Howard

Thanks Beverly,

But are we saying then, that because the pop3 address i use are not `push`
this is the reason for the phone not waking up from sleep mode?
It does after all acknowledge a new emails arrival, just doesnt light up
like an sms does.

Thanks

From: Beverly Howard on
Might look at start/personal/notifications settings

Beverly Howard
From: Jack Rabbitt on

> Might look at start/personal/notifications settings
>
> Beverly Howard

Done this, they are exactly the same as SMS, hence like i say, i get the
audio and icons etc, but i only see the bubble text if i wake the phone up
myself.