From: Marisa on
Hi,sorry if this is a duplicate post,but I'm not sure mine posted the first
time,it's not coming up in my searches.

My Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop automatically informed me of an important
update last night,and I went ahead and clicked through it and restarted.It
had me download the SP2 for Vista and install it,but when I turned my
computer back on after the requisite restart,my computer wasn't making any
sound whatsoever.I tried using the volume toggle on the taskbar,I tried
pressing the volume and mute buttons on my laptop and playing with the volume
sliders in each program I was using,but nothing has sound,not IE,not a game I
downloaded onto my desktop and have had no problems with for a week,not
iTunes,nothing.I tried using the Windows Update software to uninstall the
update,but while there's an Uninstall button for other updates,there's not
for this one.I'd ideally like to uninstall the SP2,since I think I was doing
fine without it and I'm pretty sure the lag I'm now seeing on videos is also
associated with it,as well as the sound issue.If not,I'd like to know if
there's something else I can download to fix this or any way to get my sound
back,since my computer tasks are significantly crippled by lack of sound.It
seems a lot of people are having this problem,so I'm posting this in the
hopes that someone else knows how to fix it or at least the several of us
I've seen with the problem can get an answer,so again,I apologize if this
post is a repeat.
From: Mr. Arnold on
Marisa wrote:
> Hi,sorry if this is a duplicate post,but I'm not sure mine posted the first
> time,it's not coming up in my searches.
>
> My Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop automatically informed me of an important
> update last night,and I went ahead and clicked through it and restarted.It
> had me download the SP2 for Vista and install it,but when I turned my
> computer back on after the requisite restart,my computer wasn't making any
> sound whatsoever.I tried using the volume toggle on the taskbar,I tried
> pressing the volume and mute buttons on my laptop and playing with the volume
> sliders in each program I was using,but nothing has sound,not IE,not a game I
> downloaded onto my desktop and have had no problems with for a week,not
> iTunes,nothing.I tried using the Windows Update software to uninstall the
> update,but while there's an Uninstall button for other updates,there's not
> for this one.I'd ideally like to uninstall the SP2,since I think I was doing
> fine without it and I'm pretty sure the lag I'm now seeing on videos is also
> associated with it,as well as the sound issue.If not,I'd like to know if
> there's something else I can download to fix this or any way to get my sound
> back,since my computer tasks are significantly crippled by lack of sound.It
> seems a lot of people are having this problem,so I'm posting this in the
> hopes that someone else knows how to fix it or at least the several of us
> I've seen with the problem can get an answer,so again,I apologize if this
> post is a repeat.

The next time post to a microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, as this
is a .NET programmer's forum you're posting to.

Anyway, you have to go to the Device Manager for the Sound card and do a
Roll Back to the previous version of the Sound card's driver.

You don't have to uninstall SP2. I lost the sound too on my laptop after
SP2 update, and I rolled back the sound card's driver, and the sound
came back.

You can post to the forum I mentioned above, and they will help you.