From: Daniel Cohen on
I am trying to help a friend using Leopard on a Powerbook, and doing so
without being in front of her machine.

She's lost the Volume menu bar icon.

I have remote access to her machine, and found that under the Sound
system preference it says "no output device available". She has
unplugged the external speakers, so it can't be a glitch between
external and internal.

It could obviously be a hardware issue, and that I probably can't do
anything about from a distance.

I thought it might be a corrupt preference file. I was expecting the
relevant file to be something like com.apple.sound.plist, but it isn't.

So, though I would welcome any suggestion that might help, I would
specifically like to know in what file the Sound preferences are stored.

--
<http://www.decohen.com>
Send e-mail to the Reply-To address.
From: Nick Naym on
In article 1jlxb7u.17umlxjn500cgN%dcohenspam(a)talktalk.net, Daniel Cohen at
dcohenspam(a)talktalk.net wrote on 7/20/10 5:21 AM:

> I am trying to help a friend using Leopard on a Powerbook, and doing so
> without being in front of her machine.
>
> She's lost the Volume menu bar icon.
>
> I have remote access to her machine, and found that under the Sound
> system preference it says "no output device available". She has
> unplugged the external speakers, so it can't be a glitch between
> external and internal.
>
> It could obviously be a hardware issue, and that I probably can't do
> anything about from a distance.
>
> I thought it might be a corrupt preference file. I was expecting the
> relevant file to be something like com.apple.sound.plist, but it isn't.
>
> So, though I would welcome any suggestion that might help, I would
> specifically like to know in what file the Sound preferences are stored.

Did you check Core Services to see if Volume.menu still is there?

--
iMac (27", 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) � OS X (10.6.3)

From: Jolly Roger on
dcohenspam(a)talktalk.net (Daniel Cohen) wrote:

> I am trying to help a friend using Leopard on a Powerbook, and doing so
> without being in front of her machine.
>
> She's lost the Volume menu bar icon.
>
> I have remote access to her machine, and found that under the Sound
> system preference it says "no output device available". She has
> unplugged the external speakers, so it can't be a glitch between
> external and internal.
>
> It could obviously be a hardware issue, and that I probably can't do
> anything about from a distance.
>
> I thought it might be a corrupt preference file. I was expecting the
> relevant file to be something like com.apple.sound.plist, but it isn't.
>
> So, though I would welcome any suggestion that might help, I would
> specifically like to know in what file the Sound preferences are stored.

Nah. Your friend probably just accidentally dragged it off the menu bar
by holding down the Command key on the keyboard while clicking on the
Volume menu and dragging down.

To get it back, just double-click the /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu
Extras/Volume.menu file. After that, the menu will re-appear on the menu
bar.

TIP: You can hold down Command while dragging the menu item to change
its position (or to remove it from the menu again).

JR
From: Davoud on
Daniel Cohen wrote:

> I am trying to help a friend using Leopard on a Powerbook, and doing so
> without being in front of her machine.
>
> She's lost the Volume menu bar icon.

System Preferences > Sound > Show volume in menu bar. Check the box.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<michelle-6C12A6.07563020072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-6F194E.08561720072010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Nah. Your friend probably just accidentally dragged it off the menu bar
> > by holding down the Command key on the keyboard while clicking on the
> > Volume menu and dragging down.
> >
> > To get it back, just double-click the /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu
> > Extras/Volume.menu file. After that, the menu will re-appear on the menu
> > bar.
>
> Er, why not open the Sound preference panel and click the "Show volume in
> menu bar" checkbox at the bottom of the window?

Well, of course, there's always that too! The geek in me loves to
overcomplicate things sometimes, I think. : D

JR