From: isw on
Was helping my son set up Skype on a G4 PowerBook running Leopard.

I have some headsets and earbuds that we wanted to try, and that's when
I discovered that the audio Control Panel only has one option: "Internal
microphone". There is no other selection. My Intel Macbook offers that
plus "Line In", which is what I wanted to select.

I know about the situation with powered mics, and have built preamps to
handle them. That's not the issue here, it's the fact that there is no
"Line In" option in the audio Control Panel, although there's an Audio
In jack right next to the earphone one.

What's up with that?

Isaac
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <isw-8A1D74.22131119072010@[216.168.3.50]>,
isw <isw(a)witzend.com> wrote:

> Was helping my son set up Skype on a G4 PowerBook running Leopard.
>
> I have some headsets and earbuds that we wanted to try, and that's when
> I discovered that the audio Control Panel only has one option: "Internal
> microphone". There is no other selection. My Intel Macbook offers that
> plus "Line In", which is what I wanted to select.

This is with the headsets and earbuds plugged in, or not? I'm pretty
sure they will need to be plugged in for that port to show up in the
list.

JR
From: David Empson on
Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> In article
> <michelle-1BAC8D.07583920072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
> Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> > > This is with the headsets and earbuds plugged in, or not? I'm pretty
> > > sure they will need to be plugged in for that port to show up in the
> > > list.
> >
> > Mine shows Line In even without anything plugged into the jack. But I'm
> > using an Intel iMac; it might be different with a G4 PowerBook, but I'm
> > sure that when I had a G4 iMac, it showed Line In there.
>
> I recall having to use the iMic USB gadget from Griffen Technologies in
> order to see a Line-In input on my G4. There isn't an external
> microphone port on my G4.

The first two series of 15" Titanium PowerBook G4 were missing the line
input. Models that old can't officially run Leopard anyway.

It was added in the series which had the DVI connector (April 2002), and
every subsequent series of PowerBook G4 has audio line input. The last
series and 17" model of the second to last series have a combined
analog/optical input.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz