From: volkanizma2003 on
Hi, I have some problems regarding noise normalisation. I have original
signal and I want to add a noise.

EbN0db= 0.00;
SNRv=10^(EbN0db/10);
global sigma;
sigma=1/sqrt(SNRv);

b=randn(1,1200);
gaus=sigma*b;

x= round(randn(1,1200)); % my original signal
y= gaus % my noise
z= x+ gauss % original signal + noise

Question 1.) Do I need to normalize the noise for example multiple by 0.1

z=x+ 0.1*gauss %will it be like this?

is this noise`s phase is equal to my original signal or less than my
original signal?

Thanks for your time.
From: John on
On Jun 29, 3:31 pm, "volkanizma2003"
<ozduranvolkan(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi, I have some problems regarding noise normalisation. I have original
> signal and I want to add a noise.
>
> EbN0db= 0.00;
> SNRv=10^(EbN0db/10);
> global sigma;
> sigma=1/sqrt(SNRv);
>
> b=randn(1,1200);
> gaus=sigma*b;
>
> x= round(randn(1,1200)); % my original signal
> y= gaus % my noise
> z= x+ gauss % original signal + noise
>
> Question 1.) Do I need to normalize the noise for example multiple by 0.1
>
> z=x+ 0.1*gauss %will it be like this?
>
> is this noise`s phase is equal to my original signal or less than my
> original signal?
>
> Thanks for your time.

1) You already scaled the noise when you multiplied it by 1/sqrt(SNR)
2) Adding the noise does not change the phase, only the amplitude

John
From: Greg Heath on
On Jun 29, 3:31 pm, "volkanizma2003"
<ozduranvolkan(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi, I have some problems regarding noise normalisation. I have original
> signal and I want to add a noise.
>
> EbN0db= 0.00;
> SNRv=10^(EbN0db/10);
> global sigma;
> sigma=1/sqrt(SNRv);
>
> b=randn(1,1200);
> gaus=sigma*b;
>
> x= round(randn(1,1200)); % my original signal
> y= gaus % my noise
> z= x+ gauss % original signal + noise
>
> Question 1.) Do I need to normalize the noise for example multiple by 0.1
>
> z=x+ 0.1*gauss %will it be like this?
>
> is this noise`s phase is equal to my original signal or less than my
> original signal?
>
> Thanks for your time.

If x is complex why aren't you adding complex noise?

Greg
From: third_person on

Can you tell me why you are normalizing it by sqrt(SNR)?

I generate AWGN as

Noise = (randn(1,10)+j*randn(1,10))/sqrt(2)*10^(-SNR/20) % quadrature
noise

Am I missing something?

From: Greg Heath on
On Jun 30, 11:33 am, "third_person"
<third_person(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.ymail.com> wrote:
> Can you tell me why you are normalizing it by sqrt(SNR)?
>
> I generate AWGN as
>
> Noise = (randn(1,10)+j*randn(1,10))/sqrt(2)*10^(-SNR/20)  % quadrature
> noise
>
> Am I missing something?
>

> > Hi, I have some problems regarding noise normalisation. I have original
> >signal and I want to add a noise.
>
> >EbN0db= 0.00;
> >SNRv=10^(EbN0db/10);
> >global sigma;
> >sigma=1/sqrt(SNRv);
>
> >b=randn(1,1200);
> >gaus=sigma*b;
>
> >x= round(randn(1,1200)); % my original signal
> >y= gaus % my noise
> >z= x+ gauss % original signal + noise
>
> >Question 1.) Do I need to normalize the noise for example multiple by 0.1
>
> >z=x+ 0.1*gauss %will it be like this?
>
> >is this noise`s phase is equal to my original signal or less than my
> >original signal?
>
> >Thanks for your time.- Hide quoted text -

There is

SNR = (average signal power)/(average noise power)

and

SNRdB = 10*log10(SNR).

Hope this helps.

Greg