From: Ulick Magee on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10753448

Organisers blamed for German Love Parade deaths

Eyewitness Salil Bhate: "People had trample marks on their face"

Survivors of a stampede at a free dance music festival in Germany in
which 19 people were killed have blamed organisers for the deaths.

Witnesses criticised the decision to have just one entrance through a
tunnel to the Love Parade, and said they had warned police about
overcrowding.

The police insisted that security arrangements were adequate and claimed
the site was not overcrowded. German media said the festival had drawn
about 1.4 million people.

Officials said emergency workers had difficulties reaching the injured
because of the massive crowds.

A young woman told Die Welt: "Everywhere you looked, there were people
with blue faces. My boyfriend pulled me out over the bodies, otherwise
we would both have died in there."

One festival-goer, who gave his name as Lubbert, told Agence
France-Presse news agency: "What's crazy is that the party carried on.
That's just not right. People kept on dancing even though they might
have had friends who had died."

Organisers and city officials said they had continued with the event
fearing closure might spark another stampede.

--

Ulick Magee

"A young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious
nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or
boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee,
or a ragout." - Jonathan Swift, 'A Modest Proposal', 1729