From: Paul van Delst on
Steve Lionel wrote:
> Maybe we should all regularly search for "fortran programming" to raise
> the profile?

Via cronjobs fired off every, oh, say, minute or so? :oD

(To the humourless guvmint worker tracker type folk out there: that was a joke.)

From: Jovan Cormac on
Am 26.05.2010 03:53, schrieb glen herrmannsfeldt:
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>
> It seems that Fortran isn't in the top 20, tied with
> RPG and Bourne shell.
>
> -- glen

While I'm by no means offended, I somehow find those statistics hard to
believe. Of course C and Java come before Fortran, but Lisp??? Lua, a
program extension language??? They probably didn't count the zillions of
lines of Fortran code hidden inside special-purpose machines...
From: J. Clarke on
On 6/4/2010 11:03 AM, Jovan Cormac wrote:
> Am 26.05.2010 03:53, schrieb glen herrmannsfeldt:
>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>>
>> It seems that Fortran isn't in the top 20, tied with
>> RPG and Bourne shell.
>>
>> -- glen
>

> While I'm by no means offended, I somehow find those statistics hard to
> believe. Of course C and Java come before Fortran, but Lisp??? Lua, a
> program extension language??? They probably didn't count the zillions of
> lines of Fortran code hidden inside special-purpose machines...

Read the whole page--they seem to be looking at what is fashionable (I
mean one of their sources is _youtube_) and explicitly state that they
are NOT addressing the number of lines of extant code.

From: p.kinsler on
> While I'm by no means offended, I somehow find those statistics hard to
> believe. Of course C and Java come before Fortran, but Lisp??? Lua, a
> program extension language???

FWIW, Lisp is used in emacs, a moderately popular and somewhat
extensible editor.

#Paul