From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

It seems that Fortran isn't in the top 20, tied with
RPG and Bourne shell.

-- glen
From: Gib Bogle on
glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>
> It seems that Fortran isn't in the top 20, tied with
> RPG and Bourne shell.

Interesting that C has overtaken Java. Never heard of PHP. Also surprising
that Delphi is holding its own.
From: Craig Powers on
Gib Bogle wrote:
> glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>>
>> It seems that Fortran isn't in the top 20, tied with
>> RPG and Bourne shell.
>
> Interesting that C has overtaken Java. Never heard of PHP. Also
> surprising that Delphi is holding its own.

PHP has become one of the more common web languages. Depending on where
you browse, you may see pages ending in ".php" fairly frequently.
From: Uno on
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>
> It seems that Fortran isn't in the top 20, tied with
> RPG and Bourne shell.

I don't take things like that too personally. C is now number one. We
have very useful C bindings, and C knows how to call fortran in the
scientific apps that is this huge body of source and libraries.

Maybe that no one's getting rich off fortran is the "problem."
--
Uno
From: Steve Lionel on
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>
> It seems that Fortran isn't in the top 20, tied with
> RPG and Bourne shell.

If you look at
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/tpci_definition.htm you'll
see that the method of determining a language's popularity is to see how
many people searched for "<languagename> programming" - not a very
objective measure, in my view.

Maybe we should all regularly search for "fortran programming" to raise
the profile?

--
Steve Lionel
Developer Products Division

For email address, replace "invalid" with "com"

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/
Intel Software Development Products Support
http://software.intel.com/sites/support/
My Fortran blog
http://www.intel.com/software/drfortran