From: jbclem3 on
Images, especially for eBay notifications, are a crucial part of my email.
For the past three days they have not been part of my emails, they have been
missing even though the text is being transmitted. I've had this problem
sporadically in the past, and usually assumed it was part of my lousy ISP
(Charter Comm.) and its very up and down speeds. The missing images problem
usually would cure itself in an hour or so. This time the problem has stuck
for three days, so I'd like to ask for some help in figuring it out. How
can the text but not the image(s) get transmitted in an email?

Any ideas?

jc

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Well, let's start with something of considerably more importance: The
unsecure state of your computer.

Your post's headers display "Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106."
You're running outdated and much less secure versions of OE, IE, and WinXP
(i.e., WinXP SP1). Why hasn't SP3 (let alone SP2) been installed by now?
How long have you not had a valid & fully-functional anti-virus application
installed?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: jbclem3 on
No, let's start with something of importance to ME, not to YOU. I'm
perfectly comfortable with my secure Win2000 SP4 computer, but I have a
problem with images that don't show anymore in OE6. If you can help me,
fine...you've done so in the past. But as far as proselytizing about and
trying to scare me on the subject of viruses, screw off!

jc

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
I said nothing about viruses, did I? No, I only cited the outdated & much
less secure versions of OE, IE and Windows that you're running. Get the
computer fully-patched & we'll talk about "not seeing images." In the
meantime, check your settings under OE Tools | Options | Read | Reading
messages...

jbclem3 wrote:
> No, let's start with something of importance to ME, not to YOU. I'm
> perfectly comfortable with my secure Win2000 SP4 computer, but I have a
> problem with images that don't show anymore in OE6. If you can help me,
> fine...you've done so in the past. But as far as proselytizing about and
> trying to scare me on the subject of viruses, screw off!
>
>> Well, let's start with something of considerably more importance: The
>> unsecure state of your computer...
<snip>

From: jbclem3 on
Problem solved. I ran Speedtest.net and noticed the affected computer was
only running .7 MB/s download speed.(actually less than the upload speed).
My other computer, on my home LAN, was running 6 MB/s. Then I remembered
making a recent configuration change(to try to help solve a different
problem) on the old Intel nic card on the affected computer. Following a
web site's advice, I had changed the Link Speed and Duplex from autodetect
to 10Mbps Full Duplex. That must have been causing the slowdown and the
missing image problem as they resolved themselves immediately after I
changed the configuration back to autodetect.

> I said nothing about viruses, did I? No, I only cited the outdated & much
> less secure versions of OE, IE and Windows that you're running. Get the
> computer fully-patched & we'll talk about "not seeing images." In the
> meantime, check your settings under OE Tools | Options | Read | Reading
> messages...
>

> jbclem3 wrote:
> > No, let's start with something of importance to ME, not to YOU. I'm
> > perfectly comfortable with my secure Win2000 SP4 computer, but I have a
> > problem with images that don't show anymore in OE6. If you can help me,
> > fine...you've done so in the past. But as far as proselytizing about and
> > trying to scare me on the subject of viruses, screw off!
> >
> >> Well, let's start with something of considerably more importance: The
> >> unsecure state of your computer...
> <snip>
How

 |  Next  |  Last