From: A.D. on
Hi all,
I have to demodulate an O-QPSK signal. As usual in this kind of
modulation, symbols (chips) have an half-sine shape, and the Q channel
has a 90 degree (half simbol) offset with respect to the I channel.
The first thing I have to do (and perhaps the most difficult) is
removing the frequency offset from the received I and Q signals. I
cannot use a simple Costas loop since it doesn't work with O-QPSK
signals!
Are there dedicated loops for O-QPSK signals? Or it exists some simple
and effective way to demodultate such a signal?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Antonio

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

A.D. wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have to demodulate an O-QPSK signal. As usual in this kind of
> modulation, symbols (chips) have an half-sine shape, and the Q channel
> has a 90 degree (half simbol) offset with respect to the I channel.
> The first thing I have to do (and perhaps the most difficult) is
> removing the frequency offset from the received I and Q signals. I
> cannot use a simple Costas loop since it doesn't work with O-QPSK
> signals!
> Are there dedicated loops for O-QPSK signals? Or it exists some simple
> and effective way to demodultate such a signal?

The demodulation of OQPSK is not much different from the demodulation of
the QPSK. Think of OPSK as of two BPSK signals shifted by 1/2 bit. All
you have to do is to jointly demodulate those two signals. Symbol sync
and carrier sync is not any different.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

http://www.abvolt.com
From: Tim Wescott on
A.D. wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have to demodulate an O-QPSK signal. As usual in this kind of
> modulation, symbols (chips) have an half-sine shape, and the Q channel
> has a 90 degree (half simbol) offset with respect to the I channel.
> The first thing I have to do (and perhaps the most difficult) is
> removing the frequency offset from the received I and Q signals. I
> cannot use a simple Costas loop since it doesn't work with O-QPSK
> signals!
> Are there dedicated loops for O-QPSK signals? Or it exists some simple
> and effective way to demodultate such a signal?
>
> Thank you in advance for any advice!
> Antonio

O-QPSK with half-sine shaping also goes by the name 'MSK'. I built an
MSK radio modem for my Master's thesis, which I have recently posted on
the web: http://www.wescottdesign.com/articles/MSK/mskTop.html. Chapter
3 should give a pretty good tutorial for how to do this, and Appendix B
is a pretty good example of just how execrable code can be while still
functioning as intended.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
From: A.D. on
"Vladimir Vassilevsky" <antispam_bogus(a)hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> The demodulation of OQPSK is not much different from the demodulation of
> the QPSK. Think of OPSK as of two BPSK signals shifted by 1/2 bit. All you
> have to do is to jointly demodulate those two signals. Symbol sync and
> carrier sync is not any different.

Thank you Vladimir, I will try it.

Regards,
Antonio

From: A.D. on
"Tim Wescott" <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> O-QPSK with half-sine shaping also goes by the name 'MSK'. I built an MSK
> radio modem for my Master's thesis, which I have recently posted on the
> web: http://www.wescottdesign.com/articles/MSK/mskTop.html. Chapter 3
> should give a pretty good tutorial for how to do this, and Appendix B is a
> pretty good example of just how execrable code can be while still
> functioning as intended.

Great! I will carefully read it.

Thank you very much,
Antonio