From: theintrepidfox on

Hello

I wonder whether you may have some hints and pointers. I'm trying to
create an ODBC User/System DSN but can't see the SQL server in the
ODBC New Connection Wizard drop-down. The client machine is in a
different domain than the server. I can ping the server and resolve by
name but typing Servername / IP in the dropdown combo doesn't work.
Further: The client machine is running an application that connects to
the very same SQL server using SQL Authentication just fine which
puzzles me a bit. SQL Server browser is running on the server.
I'm grateful for any ideas you may have. Please let me know if you
require additional details.

Thank you for your time and efforts,

Martin
From: Erland Sommarskog on
theintrepidfox (theintrepidfox(a)hotmail.com) writes:
> I wonder whether you may have some hints and pointers. I'm trying to
> create an ODBC User/System DSN but can't see the SQL server in the
> ODBC New Connection Wizard drop-down. The client machine is in a
> different domain than the server. I can ping the server and resolve by
> name but typing Servername / IP in the dropdown combo doesn't work.
> Further: The client machine is running an application that connects to
> the very same SQL server using SQL Authentication just fine which
> puzzles me a bit. SQL Server browser is running on the server.
> I'm grateful for any ideas you may have. Please let me know if you
> require additional details.

I haven't used the wizard for many years, but aren't you able to save
the DSN without testing it? In that case, does it work when using it?

Also, on the same machine, try connecting to the server with OSQL using
the same parameters.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: theintrepidfox on
On Feb 15, 6:38 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...(a)sommarskog.se> wrote:
> theintrepidfox (theintrepid...(a)hotmail.com) writes:
> > I wonder whether you may have some hints and pointers. I'm trying to
> > create an ODBC User/System DSN but can't see the SQL server in the
> > ODBC New Connection Wizard drop-down. The client machine is in a
> > different domain than the server. I can ping the server and resolve by
> > name but typing Servername / IP in the dropdown combo doesn't work.
> > Further: The client machine is running an application that connects to
> > the very same SQL server using SQL Authentication just fine which
> > puzzles me a bit. SQL Server browser is running on the server.
> > I'm grateful for any ideas you may have. Please let me know if you
> > require additional details.
>
> I haven't used the wizard for many years, but aren't you able to save
> the DSN without testing it? In that case, does it work when using it?
>
> Also, on the same machine, try connecting to the server with OSQL using
> the same parameters.
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...(a)sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2008:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> SQL 2005:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> SQL 2000:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

Hi Erland

Thank you for your response. All I get in the Wizard is 'Next' to go
to a section where I can choose the Authentication type. There's no
'Save' or 'Test' function. With regards to osql: IT won't allow the
installation of SQL Server client tools. Can I just copy osql.exe to
the machine for it to work? Sorry for the question, I can't test that
at the moment. Any other ideas you have are very appreciated.

Thank you for your effort,

Martin
From: Erland Sommarskog on
theintrepidfox (theintrepidfox(a)hotmail.com) writes:
> Thank you for your response. All I get in the Wizard is 'Next' to go
> to a section where I can choose the Authentication type. There's no
> 'Save' or 'Test' function.

That comes later. There is a checkbox on that page that permits your
to avoid connection on that point.

> With regards to osql: IT won't allow the installation of SQL Server
> client tools. Can I just copy osql.exe to the machine for it to work?
> Sorry for the question, I can't test that at the moment. Any other ideas
> you have are very appreciated.

I can't help you to fight your IT department. All I know is that you say
that your application can connect when it runs on the same machine, but
the ODBC wizard cannot.

Well, either ODBC is doing something differently, or something is not the
way you are telling me it is. What API does the application use?

Links for SQL Server Books Online: