From: Marc Robitaille on
I have two computers. One with Vista 32 bits and one with vista 64 bits. I
have build a VB.Net application on the 32 bits computer. The application
imports cvs files on a SQL server 2008 express edition that is install on
the 32 bits computer. To imports the csv files, i used Microsoft Text
Driver(*.txt; *.cvs) ODBC driver. When I tried the application on my 64 bits
computer with SQL server 2008 express edition, the application crash because
the driver is not there. Where can I find a version of the driver for my
vista 64 bits computer?

Thank you!

p.s. If I have asked my question in the wrong newsgroup can you tell me wich
newsgroup I must use to ask my question?

Marc R.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Marc Robitaille (marc.marie(a)globetrotterDOTnet) writes:
> I have two computers. One with Vista 32 bits and one with vista 64 bits.
> I have build a VB.Net application on the 32 bits computer. The
> application imports cvs files on a SQL server 2008 express edition that
> is install on the 32 bits computer. To imports the csv files, i used
> Microsoft Text Driver(*.txt; *.cvs) ODBC driver. When I tried the
> application on my 64 bits computer with SQL server 2008 express edition,
> the application crash because the driver is not there. Where can I find
> a version of the driver for my vista 64 bits computer?
>
> p.s. If I have asked my question in the wrong newsgroup can you tell me
> wich newsgroup I must use to ask my question?

OK, so there are probably newsgroups or forums with better knowledge
about the topic, but some minutes of googling gives a clear indication
that there is no 64-bit version of this driver. Thus, you need to explore
alternatives.

One is to run 32-bit SQL Server; this is possible on Vista x64, but
undeniably that is not very palatable.

Another alternative is to use some other means to import the files. BULK
INSERT could be an option, but BULK INSERT has some limitations. You can
get it to read a CSV file, no problem, but the CSV file must be consistently
composed, as BULK INSERT is very squared.

There is also the Import/export Wizard, but I don't know if you can
automate it on Express edition, as this would require Integration
Services.

Yet an alternative, is to read the files from the application and
send the data to SQL Server using a table-value parameter.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Pages: 1
Prev: SSRS2008 connecting to Oracle
Next: Event ID 7031