From: Brian V on
First: The Windows XP I have is from an OEM, it came with a boot dvd since it
was bought from Future Shop/Best Buy, no windows XP dvd and a key.

I was reading on a web-site article that if I install too much hardware at
once my system has to re-connect to microsofts web-site or call them and
confirm that this is still the same computer.

I also read if I flashed the BIOS and it is not from the manufacturer, my
version of XP won't work, since it is "not credible" or something in
microsofts eyes. If it's true I have to re-connect to the microsoft web-site
or call them: apparently my XP won't work at all.

Does anyone know anything about this? Or where I can get more information?
From: sgopus on
Flashing the bios has nothing to do with The operating system, unless yours
is an OEM version tied to the BIOS

From: Shenan Stanley on
Brian V wrote:
> First: The Windows XP I have is from an OEM, it came with a boot dvd since
> it
> was bought from Future Shop/Best Buy, no windows XP dvd and a key.
>
> I was reading on a web-site article that if I install too much hardware at
> once my system has to re-connect to microsofts web-site or call them and
> confirm that this is still the same computer.
>
> I also read if I flashed the BIOS and it is not from the manufacturer, my
> version of XP won't work, since it is "not credible" or something in
> microsofts eyes. If it's true I have to re-connect to the microsoft
> web-site
> or call them: apparently my XP won't work at all.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this? Or where I can get more information?

OEM Windows XP (CD, not DVD) is tied to the first machine it is installed
upon/activated upon by the EULA. Read your own EULA (End-User License
Agreement)...

Start button --> RUN --> Type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

Click on the obvious words in the new window to open your EULA. "Enjoy".

Read this:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php
http://www.technibble.com/windows-xp-activation-explained/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Brian V on
Fast replys and thank you for those.

No matter the program, everytime I ask about commercial use for software
(eg: music or video and publishing/selling the final product) or something
unexpectidly like this: People keep telling me to read the ELUA.

Gotta get that paper work done. uggg........Time to read more.
From: Doum on
=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gVg==?= <BrianV(a)discussions.microsoft.com> �crivait

> First: The Windows XP I have is from an OEM, it came with a boot dvd
> since it was bought from Future Shop/Best Buy, no windows XP dvd and a
> key.
>
> I was reading on a web-site article that if I install too much
> hardware at once my system has to re-connect to microsofts web-site or
> call them and confirm that this is still the same computer.
>
> I also read if I flashed the BIOS and it is not from the manufacturer,
> my version of XP won't work, since it is "not credible" or something
> in microsofts eyes. If it's true I have to re-connect to the microsoft
> web-site or call them: apparently my XP won't work at all.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this? Or where I can get more
> information?

You say no Windows XP dvd and a key, there should a sticker on the side or
the back of your computer (bottom if it's a laptop) with the key printed on
it.

Something like this:

http://aberrantech.com/files/2007/11/winxp-pro-sp2c-new-coa.jpg

or

http://www.designzoneau.lootlive.com/pics/viac7/p18.jpg

I don't think you can use a BIOS other than from the manufacturer of your
motherboard or your computer.