From: Han on
"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam(a)att.net> wrote in

> I want to do a W7 upgrade, not a new install, therefore saving my
> applications. I have an Acer Aspire 5610-2273. It came with a very
> early version of Vista Home Premium, that has always given me troubles
> that my newer Vista laptops have not. Now I'm being stopped by some
> Acer anomaly - see the attached picture. Microsoft has tried, for
> free, for about 3 hours a day, taking over my mouse and keyboard and
> viewing my screen. They have given up, saying it is a problem
> specific to Acer. I'll try to get help from Acer, but I thought I'd
> try here also. It seems to me that some bit twiddling would turn off
> the "OEM reserved" flag. Help, anyone? TIA, Paul
>
> Attachment saved: D:\Public\Xnews\attachments\bad\untitled-2_88.txt
> ------=_NextPart_000_062E_01CA5A91.82AD8C90
>

> Attachment saved: D:\Public\Xnews\attachments\bad\IMG_0301.jpg
> ------=_NextPart_000_062E_01CA5A91.82AD8C90--

My Acer laptop also had problems, with the SP1 update to Vista Home
Basic. I finally did do the new install of Vista HB, and now the machine
works fine. I think you just have to bite the bullet and reinstall.
Your choice, Vista or W7.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Paul H on

As I predicted, Acer is no help. They turn their back on their system
problems. I agree that if I was trying to correct a problem specific to
only me - an application malfunctioning etc.- they would rightfully consider
that a warranty denial. But I doubt that I'm the only one have this "OEM"
problem. Just like you and I are not the only people to have had SP1
problems. I was able to do the SP1 upgrade about a year later without the
original problems. I'll let my installed applications go and do a complete
install (also requiring a more expensive W7 CD). Acer said:

Dear Paul H,

Thank you for contacting Acer America. I'll be happy to assist you with this
issue.

I understand from your mail that you are having issue with upgrading Windows
7.

After verifying serial Number LXAXL[snip]601 we see that your product is out
of warranty. However, Acer does offer a fee-based support over the phone for
its Out of Warranty products.

You may call 1.800.237.6483 Answer By Acer. Calling cards are available for
30 minutes ($59.99), 90 minutes ($129.99), or 15 issues ($199.99) and the
validity will be 1 year.

Please be informed that customers who purchase a qualifying Windows
Vista�-based PC from June 26, 2009 to January 31, 20101 can get an upgrade
to Windows� 7 when Windows� 7 becomes available.

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site
http://support.Acer.com/

Have a great day!

Respectfully,
Acer America
Online Technical Support

=====================================

"Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message

> My Acer laptop also had problems, with the SP1 update to Vista Home
> Basic. I finally did do the new install of Vista HB, and now the machine
> works fine. I think you just have to bite the bullet and reinstall.
> Your choice, Vista or W7.
>
> --
> Best regards
> Han
> email address is invalid

> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam(a)att.net> wrote in
>
>> I want to do a W7 upgrade, not a new install, therefore saving my
>> applications. I have an Acer Aspire 5610-2273. It came with a very
>> early version of Vista Home Premium, that has always given me troubles
>> that my newer Vista laptops have not. Now I'm being stopped by some
>> Acer anomaly - see the attached picture. Microsoft has tried, for
>> free, for about 3 hours a day, taking over my mouse and keyboard and
>> viewing my screen. They have given up, saying it is a problem
>> specific to Acer. I'll try to get help from Acer, but I thought I'd
>> try here also. It seems to me that some bit twiddling would turn off
>> the "OEM reserved" flag. Help, anyone? TIA, Paul
>>
>> Attachment saved: D:\Public\Xnews\attachments\bad\untitled-2_88.txt
>> ------=_NextPart_000_062E_01CA5A91.82AD8C90
>>

>> Attachment saved: D:\Public\Xnews\attachments\bad\IMG_0301.jpg
>> ------=_NextPart_000_062E_01CA5A91.82AD8C90--

Pages: 1
Prev: Battery recalibrate ideas
Next: broken already