From: Linea Recta on
I was just waching a video stream when the screen suddenly changed into a
blocked mosaic, then black.
When trying to reboot the notebook, the screen seems divided into two
halves, an upper and a lower half.
So now I see two bios password pronpts.
After entering the password, at first it seems to go on booting, but before
I get to the Vista logon screen it just reboots by itself and I get the
divided bois screen with password prompts again.

I suppose the videocard has died?

Notebook, purchased march 2008.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

From: BillW50 on
In news:4aedc267$0$83242$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl,
Linea Recta typed on Sun, 1 Nov 2009 18:16:21 +0100:
> I was just waching a video stream when the screen suddenly changed
> into a blocked mosaic, then black.
> When trying to reboot the notebook, the screen seems divided into two
> halves, an upper and a lower half.
> So now I see two bios password pronpts.
> After entering the password, at first it seems to go on booting, but
> before I get to the Vista logon screen it just reboots by itself and
> I get the divided bois screen with password prompts again.
>
> I suppose the videocard has died?
>
> Notebook, purchased march 2008.

Could be the video card, LCD panel, or power regulators. It could even
be a loose plug. It is still under warrantee right? May work fine with
an external monitor. That still won't tell you what is wrong though.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

From: Barry Watzman on
Re: "I suppose the videocard has died?"

Leave the machine cool -- completely -- and try again. If it's ok at
first but fails later, it may be overheating.

Re: "I suppose the videocard has died?"

Laptops usually don't have videocards. So, for most practical purposes,
the more likely answer is that the motherboard has died.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hckjb7$6gr$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
Barry Watzman typed on Sun, 01 Nov 2009 13:17:10 -0500:
> Re: "I suppose the videocard has died?"
>
> Leave the machine cool -- completely -- and try again. If it's ok at
> first but fails later, it may be overheating.
>
> Re: "I suppose the videocard has died?"
>
> Laptops usually don't have videocards. So, for most practical
> purposes, the more likely answer is that the motherboard has died.

Here are the temp readings that Linea Recta posted on Sep 27th.

Veld Waarde
Sensoreigenschappen
Sensortype CPU, HDD, ACPI
GPU sensortype Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperaturen
CPU 47 �C (117 �F)
CPU #1 / Kern #1 50 �C (122 �F)
CPU #1 / Kern #2 50 �C (122 �F)
GPU 62 �C (144 �F)
WDC WD2500BEVS-22UST0 29 �C (84 �F)

Spanningswaarde
CPU Core 1.16 V

From: Linea Recta on

"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> schreef in bericht
> In news:4aedc267$0$83242$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl,
> Linea Recta typed on Sun, 1 Nov 2009 18:16:21 +0100:
>> I was just waching a video stream when the screen suddenly changed
>> into a blocked mosaic, then black.
>> When trying to reboot the notebook, the screen seems divided into two
>> halves, an upper and a lower half.
>> So now I see two bios password pronpts.
>> After entering the password, at first it seems to go on booting, but
>> before I get to the Vista logon screen it just reboots by itself and
>> I get the divided bois screen with password prompts again.
>>
>> I suppose the videocard has died?
>>
>> Notebook, purchased march 2008.
>
> Could be the video card, LCD panel, or power regulators. It could even be
> a loose plug. It is still under warrantee right?

Yes, I will give them* a ring soon. Medion support*.

> May work fine with an external monitor. That still won't tell you what is
> wrong though.

I just tried that, but with an external monitor connected it won't boot at
all anymore: stone dead.

Brand/Model:
http://www.icecat.biz/en/p/Medion/MD96691/Multimedia%20notebook%20MD%2096691%20(MIM2300).htm

--