From: PJ6 on
I'm sorry to ask here, but google isn't giving me anything on this and I
thought this might be a good place to find out.

Paul

From: Harlan Messinger on
PJ6 wrote:
> I'm sorry to ask here, but google isn't giving me anything on this and I
> thought this might be a good place to find out.

Microsoft took itself off of Usenet effective July 1, taking down its
NNTP servers, having decided to devote its attentions to its web-based
help forums.
From: PJ6 on
"Harlan Messinger" <hmessinger.removethis(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> PJ6 wrote:
>> I'm sorry to ask here, but google isn't giving me anything on this and I
>> thought this might be a good place to find out.
>
> Microsoft took itself off of Usenet effective July 1, taking down its NNTP
> servers, having decided to devote its attentions to its web-based help
> forums.

I know it wasn't your doing, but just to rant a little -

That's a shame, because web apps take away user choice and make enormous
sacrifices to basic UI features and usability. Compared to real
applications, web interfaces just suck. They always have, and they quite
possibly always will.

Maintaining a website for the forums also costs more and is less scalable.
Maybe they had a good reason for doing this, but I wouldn't be able to guess
what it was.

Paul

From: ib.dangelmeyr on
> Maintaining a website for the forums also costs more and is less scalable.
> Maybe they had a good reason for doing this, but I wouldn't be able to guess
> what it was.

But in Web forums Microsoft can make additional advertisement, etc.
Who cares about the users ...
From: "Mr. Arnold" MR. on

"PJ6" <noone(a)nowhere.net> wrote in message
> "Harlan Messinger" <hmessinger.removethis(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> PJ6 wrote:
>>> I'm sorry to ask here, but google isn't giving me anything on this and I
>>> thought this might be a good place to find out.
>>
>> Microsoft took itself off of Usenet effective July 1, taking down its
>> NNTP servers, having decided to devote its attentions to its web-based
>> help forums.
>
> I know it wasn't your doing, but just to rant a little -
>
> That's a shame, because web apps take away user choice and make enormous
> sacrifices to basic UI features and usability. Compared to real
> applications, web interfaces just suck. They always have, and they quite
> possibly always will.

So?
Compared to real applications -- please?
I work in both environments, and what the desktop flyboy jockeys need to
learn is n-tier, object oriented programming, design patterns, TDD and DDD
in enterprise level development, which can be used at the desktop just as
they are being used in Web based solution. The desktop flyboy jockeys are no
where in the ballpark.

> Maintaining a website for the forums also costs more and is less scalable.
> Maybe they had a good reason for doing this, but I wouldn't be able to
> guess what it was.

Just use the MS NNTP Bridge application, which will allow on to use your NG
reader and go to the VB and C# forums.