From: Avid Fan on
I have set a relationship between the master and child tables.

Customer.ID -> callnotes.Customer_ID

Enforce referential integrity.
Cascade updates.

I am told Access is supposed to put the customer.ID value in the
callnotes.Customer_ID it is not working

How do I do it manually in VBA code?
From: Dirk Goldgar on
"Avid Fan" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
>I have set a relationship between the master and child tables.
>
> Customer.ID -> callnotes.Customer_ID
>
> Enforce referential integrity.
> Cascade updates.
>

> I am told Access is supposed to put the customer.ID value in the
> callnotes.Customer_ID it is not working
>

> How do I do it manually in VBA code?

You don't. This is controlled by the Link Master Fields and Link Child
Fields properties of the subform control. If you created that relationship
after you added the subform to the main form, Access would not have been
able to guess that those were the linking fields, so you have to go to the
properties of the subform control -- the control on the main form that
displays the subform -- and enter "ID" in the Link Master Fields property
and "Customer_ID" in the Link Child Fields property (without quotes around
the field names).

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: John W. Vinson on
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 05:44:44 +1100, Avid Fan <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>I have set a relationship between the master and child tables.
>
>Customer.ID -> callnotes.Customer_ID
>
>Enforce referential integrity.
>Cascade updates.
>

>I am told Access is supposed to put the customer.ID value in the
>callnotes.Customer_ID it is not working

WHat happens when you enter data into the note field?

I have NEVER ONCE seen a master/child link field fail. I think your
expectation is what is faulty: just having the relationship or having the
master/child links will NOT automagically create a new empty record in the
callnotes table. It will only be created when you *actually enter data onto
the subform* - are you?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: John W. Vinson on
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:48:32 +1100, Avid Fan <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>I fill data into the memo text box. I change the one other control left
> combobox
>
>I even have a save record and move to next record buttons on the forms
>
>I have placed a text box control linked to customer_id the only way I
>can get the record to save is by placing a valid ID number in the field.

And this is in fact a Subform in a subform control (not a popup form launched
from code)?

Please post the SQL view of the mainform and the subform's Recorsource
properties and (again) the Master Link Field and Child Link Field properties
of the Subform. Something is very very odd here.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: John W. Vinson on
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:06:42 +1100, Avid Fan <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>The error was in the Master Link Child link property of the subform.
>for some reason they were linked to customer.Id callnotes.ID instead
>of callnotes.customer_ID
>
>It was an "ID ten IT " error (ID10T)

I *won't* post how many times I've been burned by the same kind of error...
<g>

Glad you figured it out!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]