From: Philipp Post on
Good day,

we receive reports from our database system in landscape plain text
format which are then saved to disk and further processed with systems
such as MS Excel or Access.

Problem is, that since Outlook 2007 these e-mails get re-formatted by
Outlook (adding line breaks according to the display on the screen)
causing all Excel / Access routines to break. In Outlook 2003 this did
not happen.

Is there a way to prevent this and save the .txt e-mail as it comes
from the server?

Thanks n brgds

Philipp Post
From: Philipp Post on
Robert,

> Remove extra line breaks in plain text messages <

Thanks for your message, but that is not exactly the point as Outlook
does not remove line breaks, but it adds new ones when saving a plain
text message to disk. It inserts line breaks after exactly 80 chars,
no matter of the display. This means information what was previously
in one line is now in two lines, what is causing problems.

Thanks n brgds

Philipp Post
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Mine goes to at least 108 - this was from a plain text message. Removing
line breaks doesn't have an effect - its 108 either way.

An HTML message saved as text has 100 characters per line.

My break lines at setting is 76 - so its not using that when it figures the
beaks.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

How many email accounts are in your main Outlook profile?

From: Philipp Post on
Diane,

> Mine goes to at least 108 - this was from a plain text message. <

It is good to hear that your settings differ from mine as this could
mean that the value is not hard coded and should reside in some
settings file / registry entry or the like. I have no issues with
altering such parameters by hand if someone could point me to the
location of it.

Thanks n brgds

Philipp Post
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
I'm not convinced its something set in my outlook - it could be the sender
or a mail server doing it. I know Exchange allows me to set the line wrap
on the server for mail we send - just as outlook has a break setting in
options, mail format.

The same message sent from my gmail account to outlook (ex2007 account) -
one plain text, one html - the plain text can do up to 108 characters, html
up to 100 (when saved as a txt file). That's the same result I had yesterday
with mail from 2 different sources. That leads me to believe outlook is
doing it, or my sample was way too small. <g>