From: pcbtmr on
I have deleted all messages in my pst file. Folder size says it is 1MB but
file size says it is 1.2GB. Compress PST file does not.
Any ideas?
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"pcbtmr" <pcbtmr(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I have deleted all messages in my pst file. Folder size says it is 1MB but
> file size says it is 1.2GB. Compress PST file does not.
> Any ideas?

Did you compact the PST? Right-click its root, choose Properties, click
Advanced and then Compact Now.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
There are "hidden messages" in the pst - outlook uses hidden messages to
store account information and other data, so an empty pst is not really
'empty' There will be some difference between the folder size reported in
outlook and the size windows explorer reports - .2 MG is reasonable for
this.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

How many email accounts are in your main Outlook profile?

From: pcbtmr on
Hidden msgs shouldn't account for over 1GB of data. Tried to compress the
file and the progress ends after 5 seconds, no error msgs or other feedback.
Folder size reports 2MB, file size shows 1.2GB.

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Sorry, I misread it as 1.2 MG. You can browse it with MFCMAPI and look for
hidden items. Custom forms can be large and some addins create a lot of
hidden items... or its corrupt.