From: Richard Passey on
Hi All,

We have an odd problem following the SP2 Exchange 2007 update.

Since the update OOF messages can be set but the server does not send them
out. This only occurs from OWA 2007 and Outlook 2007 clients. Those users
setting OOF messages via the 2003 Outlook client work perfectly.

We've tried all the different options in 2007 OOF preferences and none of
them seem to make any difference.

Our environment is 3 Exchange servers in one site spread accorss 2 domains;
2 are 2003 and the newest is 2007, we are due to decommision the 2003
servers shortly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

RIic

From: Shawn Brown on
We have the same OOF problem, except none of our OOF messages go out.

One Exchange 2007 server and a mix of Outlook Clients.

When I use MCPMapi to look at the PR_OOF_STATE, setting up OOF in Web
Mail or Outlook 2007, does not change the STATE to True. Setting up
OOF in Outlook XP DOES change the STATE to True, but no response is
actually sent. I tried all 4 of the settings in the Exchange
Management Console -> Org -> Hub Transport -> Remote domain -> Default
-> Properties.

Shawn

From: Richard Passey on
I think the PR_OOF_STATE setting applys the the 2003 legacy OOF. But I could
be wrong.

I'm going to have to stomach the �200 and open a call with Microsoft as non
of the exchange consultants round here can figure out what the problem is.

Ric

From: Richard Passey on
I think I have got to the bottom our issue;

We're not entirely sure what fixed it.

We think it was related to 9040 errors which in MS land point to a mismatch
between the server DN and the user DNs. We thought this could be a problem
with some legacy uses still on a 2003 server so we moved these over to our
2007 server on a new archival database.

This did not fix the problem and the 9040s persisted.

We noticed that 2 legacy mailboxes remained, even though they we on the 2007
server. To fix these we moved them to a different storage group and back
again (and then performed the set-mailbox *** -setmandatoryattributed in the
shell). This changed the mailbox type back to the standard "user mailbox".

This seems to kill the 9040 messages and return Out of Office OOF
functionality for all mailboxes.

How did these legacy mailbox become legacy mailboxes?

We have been creating 2003 accounts using a vbs script (along with the AD
account, shares, aliases etc). Seems that this script is insufficient for
use in our 2007 SP2 architecture. We haven't tested this yet but looks like
additional AD values are required. We can set and manually reset these
values in ADSI too.

' Specific Exchange 2007 attributes required to ensure mailbox is created
successfully
exchangeVersion = "4535486012416"
msExchRecipientDisplayType = "1073741824"
msExchRecipientTypeDetails = "1"

' Build and write the users Exchange attributes (that we used for 2003)
oNewUser.put "mDBUseDefaults", sLDAPmDBUseDefaults
oNewUser.put "mail", lcase(EmailAlias) & "@" & sParentMaildomain
oNewUser.put "msExchHomeServerName", sLDAPExchangeServer
oNewUser.put "mailnickname", lcase(sLogon)
oNewUser.put "homeMDB", sLDAPhomeMDB
oNewUser.put "displayNamePrintable", lcase(sLogon)

' Specific Exchange 2007 values required to ensure mailbox is created
successfully
exchangeVersion = "4535486012416"
msExchRecipientDisplayType = "1073741824"
msExchRecipientTypeDetails = "1"

' Exchange 2007 specific ad properties that need settings
oNewUser.put "msExchVersion", exchangeVersion
oNewUser.put "msExchRecipientDisplayType", msExchRecipientDisplayType
oNewUser.put "msExchRecipientTypeDetails", msExchRecipientTypeDetails

Problem is we can't seem to break Out of Office now? Potentially it could be
that only accounts made before sp2 with our script were causing the issue.
Simply running our bad script doesn't return us to 9040 errors and no OOF
(although it does make "legacy mailboxes".

If I get a better analysis of the fix/problem I will post it here later.

I but this info here to inform and perhaps assist with other facing loss of
OOF function. If you'd like to contact me for support on this matter
directly my second name at gmail will get you to me.

I guess it's about time we changed to powerShell!

Ric Passey

From: Shawn Brown on
I'm sure our issues are totally unrelated, but in case someone happens
upon this thread, I wanted to post the solution to our OOF problem as
well.

We fixed our OOF issue by following the info in this link about "The
System Attendant homeMDB attribute is missing". We should have re-ran
the Best Practices analyzer after installing SP2.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd535374.aspx

Shawn