From: bdbafh on
Ah, then this database is more the victim of the defaults set in a
starter database - or of the poor practices of a now defunct vendor.

It is helpful to include operating system information, storage
subsystem info.

Care to specify the Oracle database server software version including
patchsets, and whether this is Enterprise or Standard Edition?
>From sqlplus:
SQL> select * from v$version;
SQL> select * from v$option;

7 years ago - its likely either Oracle v7.3 (7.3.4) or v8 (8.0.5).
Both of these versions were long since de-supported.
Locally managed tablespaces were not introduced until Oracle 8i - so
those won't be an option available to you.

If you're dealing with dictionary managed tablespaces back in Oracle
7.3 - you might want to consider manually coalescing that tablespace
(after you have good backups).

If pctincrease has been set to a non-zero value (say 50 %) its entirely
possible that the next extent sizes for large segments are rather
large. Adjusting these values downward may buy you some time.

Performing the re-org to new tablespaces should be fairly
straightforward.
A tool such as TOAD has a nice GUI interface for perfoming
re-organizations - you won't even have to write any scripts.

what is the blocksize for this database? (its in the file init.ora).

How are the backups configured for this database? - as you're going to
have to be able to rely upon them prior to mucking about.

As the path delimiters indicate I'm guessing that this is either an MS
W2K | WinNT 4.0 box. The bug that I referred to did occur on win32
operating systems on the 2 GB mark. It would be worth your while to
connect to the Oracle Metalink site https://metalink.oracle.com and see
if you have hit this bug.

hth.

-bdbafh

From: Shredder on

<bdbafh(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ah, then this database is more the victim of the defaults set in a
> starter database - or of the poor practices of a now defunct vendor.
>
> It is helpful to include operating system information, storage
> subsystem info.
>
> Care to specify the Oracle database server software version including
> patchsets, and whether this is Enterprise or Standard Edition?
>>From sqlplus:
> SQL> select * from v$version;
> SQL> select * from v$option;
>
> 7 years ago - its likely either Oracle v7.3 (7.3.4) or v8 (8.0.5).
> Both of these versions were long since de-supported.
> Locally managed tablespaces were not introduced until Oracle 8i - so
> those won't be an option available to you.
>
> If you're dealing with dictionary managed tablespaces back in Oracle
> 7.3 - you might want to consider manually coalescing that tablespace
> (after you have good backups).
>
> If pctincrease has been set to a non-zero value (say 50 %) its entirely
> possible that the next extent sizes for large segments are rather
> large. Adjusting these values downward may buy you some time.
>
> Performing the re-org to new tablespaces should be fairly
> straightforward.
> A tool such as TOAD has a nice GUI interface for perfoming
> re-organizations - you won't even have to write any scripts.
>
> what is the blocksize for this database? (its in the file init.ora).
>
> How are the backups configured for this database? - as you're going to
> have to be able to rely upon them prior to mucking about.
>
> As the path delimiters indicate I'm guessing that this is either an MS
> W2K | WinNT 4.0 box. The bug that I referred to did occur on win32
> operating systems on the 2 GB mark. It would be worth your while to
> connect to the Oracle Metalink site https://metalink.oracle.com and see
> if you have hit this bug.
>
> hth.
>
> -bdbafh

This is a Netware 5.1 File server and the database exist on a uncompressed
netware volume. It was originally Oracle 7.3 and was updated when we built
a new server and implemented Oracle 8i.

Oracle8i Release 8.1.5.0.4 - Production (5 user, NetWare Bundle)
PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.4 - Production
CORE Version 8.1.5.0.4 - Production
TNS for NetWare: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 3.4.0.0.0 - Production

PARAMETER VALUE
Partitioning FALSE
Objects TRUE
Parallel Server FALSE
Advanced replication FALSE
Bit-mapped indexes FALSE
Connection multiplexing TRUE
Connection pooling TRUE
Database queuing FALSE
Incremental backup and recovery FALSE
Instead-of triggers FALSE
Parallel backup and recovery FALSE
Parallel execution FALSE
Parallel load TRUE
Point-in-time tablespace recovery FALSE
Fine-grained access control FALSE
N-Tier authentication/authorization FALSE
Function-based indexes FALSE
Plan Stability FALSE
Online Index Build FALSE
Coalesce Index FALSE
Managed Standby FALSE
Materialized view rewrite FALSE
Materialized view warehouse refresh FALSE
Database resource manager FALSE
Spatial FALSE
Visual Information Retrieval FALSE
Export transportable tablespaces FALSE
Transparent Application Failover FALSE
Fast-Start Fault Recovery FALSE
Sample Scan FALSE
Duplexed backups FALSE
Java FALSE

db_block_size = 2048

From: bdbafh on
thanks for the info.
IIRC, locally managed tablespaces weren't available in 8.1.5 (though I
never used 8.1.5).
As this is standard edition, online reorganization of tables and
indexes is not supported.
Here is an article discussing move/rebuild of segments:
http://www.dbazine.com/oracle/or-articles/hordila1

I seem to have misplaced my otn credentials.
The 8.1.7 docs are no longer available online on otn.
This is a link into the administrator's guide - "Moving a Table to a
New Segment or Tablespace"
http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.to_URL?remark=drilldown&urlname=http:%2F%2Fdownload-west.oracle.com%2Fdocs%2Fcd%2FB10501_01%2Fserver.920%2Fa96521%2Ftables.htm%236359

This is an offline operation - as indexes will be marked as unusable
until they are rebuilt.

1. schedule a maintenance window
2. prepare your re-org scripts
3. backup the database
4. create the new tablespaces (nologging)
5. execute the script to
alter table <table_name> move tablespace <tablespace_name> nologging
6. execute the script to rebuild the indexes (nologging)
alter index <index_name> rebuild tablespace <tablespace_name> nologging
7. alter the tablespace, tables and indexes to logging
8. gather stats via dbms_utility.analyze_table (defaults to
cascade=>true)
9. backup the database again
10. UAT

btw - you might want to alter the storage parameters for the tables and
indexes prior to the rebuild - such as to set pctincrease=0,
initial_extent = next extent.
"How to Stop Defragmenting and Start Living"
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/defrag.pdf

hth.

-bdbafh

From: HansF on
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:31:29 -0800, bdbafh wrote:

> thanks for the info.
> IIRC, locally managed tablespaces weren't available in 8.1.5 (though I
> never used 8.1.5).

From the 8.1.5 Concepts manual, there is a discussion of LMTs in
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/F49540_01/DOC/server.815/a67781/c03space.htm#4346

> I seem to have misplaced my otn credentials. The 8.1.7 docs are no
> longer available online on otn. This is a link into the administrator's
> guide - "Moving a Table to a New Segment or Tablespace"
> http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.to_URL?remark=drilldown&urlname=http:%2F%2Fdownload-west.oracle.com%2Fdocs%2Fcd%2FB10501_01%2Fserver.920%2Fa96521%2Ftables.htm%236359

The OTN URL
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/oracle8i_arch_815.html
will provide the link to 8.1.5, 6 and 7 docco.

It's easy enough to create a new OTN registration. Let me know if you
want to new gmail invite to create a 'do not disturb' email address.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com

From: bdbafh on
email address domain change - the password reset is going to old, now
non-existent domain.
I took care of my Metalink account, but not the otn account.
I'll contact a human next year.

thanks.