From: Paul B. Andersen on
Henri Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:12:44 +0200, "Paul B. Andersen"
> <paul.b.andersen(a)deletethishia.no> wrote:
>

>>Henri Wilson wrote:

>>>For inclusion in your plagiarized paper, I hereby give permission for you to
>>>state that they are pink with green spots. Some wear earings.
>>>

>>Quite.
>>So we can conclude that the number of persons considering
>>the WCHs to be a serious proposition is zero.
>

> Anyone who can conclude that little planet Earth is the centre of the universe
> as far as all starlight is concerned should be able to conclude just about
> anything.

I see.
So you have come to the conclusion "that little planet Earth is
the centre of the universe as far as all starlight is concerned",
and think that you might as well believe in WCHs.

You are living in Wonderland, aren't you?

Paul

From: Odysseus on
George Dishman wrote:

> "Henri Wilson" <H@..> wrote in message

[distance to RT Aurigae]

> > .....and there is obviously a great deal of uncertainty.
>
> The standard error was quoted in Odysseus'
> post as 0.89 mas.

I understand a standard error of 0.89 mas given for a parallax of
2.09 mas to imply that there's a 68% chance that the true distance of
RT Aurigae is between 1100 and 2700 light-years, assuming the error
distribution to be symmetrical. So I think as far as this measurement
is concerned "a great deal of uncertainty" is a fair assessment -- no
more than one can expect from so small a parallax.

However, the cepheid period-luminosity relation is capable of
considerably more reliable estimates than this; I believe the
expected error in distances calculated in this manner is less than
10%. Derived distances cited here and there fall in the 1300-1600 LY
range (somewhat biased toward the lower side, tending to cluster
around 1400 LY), so I think the uncertainty is very much less, in
light of all the available information, than implied by the parallax
alone -- especially considering that RT Aur is of the
well-characterized 'classical' cepheid type.

--
Odysseus
From: George Dishman on

"Odysseus" <odysseus1479-at(a)yahoo-dot.ca> wrote in message
> George Dishman wrote:
>>
>> "Henri Wilson" <H@..> wrote in message
>
> [distance to RT Aurigae]
>> >
>> > .....and there is obviously a great deal of uncertainty.
>>
>> The standard error was quoted in Odysseus'
>> post as 0.89 mas.
>>

> I understand a standard error of 0.89 mas given for a parallax of
> 2.09 mas to imply that there's a 68% chance that the true distance of
> RT Aurigae is between 1100 and 2700 light-years, assuming the error
> distribution to be symmetrical. So I think as far as this measurement
> is concerned "a great deal of uncertainty" is a fair assessment -- no
> more than one can expect from so small a parallax.
>
> However, the cepheid period-luminosity relation is capable of
> considerably more reliable estimates than this; I believe the
> expected error in distances calculated in this manner is less than
> 10%. Derived distances cited here and there fall in the 1300-1600 LY
> range (somewhat biased toward the lower side, tending to cluster
> around 1400 LY), so I think the uncertainty is very much less, in
> light of all the available information, than implied by the parallax
> alone -- especially considering that RT Aur is of the
> well-characterized 'classical' cepheid type.

I'm not sure if you are aware of the context. Henri
is suggesting that RT Aur is not a cepheid but that
it is part of a binary system with an unseen
companion and that a Ritzian model for light
propagation produces the light curve.

To do that, he needs (IIRC, it was some time ago) a
distance of about 120LY. A rough estimate without
calculation would be an order greater than 2.09 mas
(since that is circa 1200) so around 21 mas or about
20 standard deviations from the measured value. It
may not be significant though because he can adjust
various other parameters (e.g. eccentricity and
inclination) so may be able to match any value.

best regards
George

From: Henri Wilson on
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:51:53 +0100, "George Dishman" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>"Henri Wilson" <H@..> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:32:01 +0100, "George Dishman"
>> <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>It is in deed. Now remember that axes are
>>>orthogonal and draw a spacetime diagram and
>>>you will see the consequence is what I said
>>>above.
>>
>> The length will be the same irrespective of the speed.
>
>If you just repeat your preconceptions, you
>won't learn and your arguments will always
>be directed at irrelevant strawmen. Try doing
>as I suggested.

George, can you not get away from the idea that 'lengths' have to be measured
to be LENGTHS.

The length of space occupied by a rod does not change with speed. The proof is
trivial...as I have pointed out many times.
Human attempts to compare a rod's length at different speeds may produce
conflicting results because of flaws in the measuring techniques.

>>>Precisely, that is exactly what I am saying.

>>>No they aren't, 'space' and 'time' or 'spacetime'
>>>is the natural phenomenon while 'Lengths of space'
>>>and 'intervals of time' are numbers read off
>>>rulers and clocks and those relate back to axes.
>>>Change the orientation of the axes and you change
>>>only the measurement, not the underlying reality.
>>
>> ..but George, a 'length of space' can be specified very easily without
>> being
>> measured.
>
>No, a region of space can be defined but the
>length of that region is a measurement.

OK, call it a region of space if you want to include more than one spatial
dimension..

>> Just take a piece of wood......that defines a length of space.
>>
>> It doesn't need a number to be a 'length of space'..
>
>Yes it does, otherwise it is just "some space".

Like an orbit is just 'some time'.
That's all it has to be for my experiment. The 'some' part is constant.

>> A rigid rod defines a 'fixed length of space'.
>> An orbit defines a 'fixed length of time'.
>
>Same problem Henri, you are just repeating
>preconception that are untrue in GR. Use
>those asumptions in your proof and it is
>invalid.

George, GR doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

>>>That 'an orbit' can have only one time duration is
>>>an assumption that conflicts with GR and that is the
>>>one and only flaw in your so-called proof.
>>
>> George, it is my intention to conflict with GR.
>
>My mistake, I thought you were trying to prove
>it wrong. If all you are doing is say you don't
>like it, I think we have all got that message.

I don't even want to consider any stupid theory that goes to ridiculous lengths
to distort space in order to make light speed constant as it falss down a
gravity well.

>>>Find a way
>>>to either prove that assumption or adjust your proof
>>>to remove it and you would succeed. If you are forced
>>>to include it as an assumption then you fail.
>>
>> George, when are you going to accept that observer behavior cannot affect
>> the
>> observed?
>
>When are you going to start litening to what I
>say instead of inventing alternatives? Look
>back through this post and see if you can find
>why I say that.

You are repeating over and over that the orbit duration depends on who measures
it. I am trying to convince you that no matter what figure you out n the orbit
duration, it will n ot change due to clock movement.
Define the orbit duration as 1, 100, 1000 or 1000000 'time units' and that
value will not change due to any observer activity.

>> The orbit is the same duration no matter who looks at it. It isn't going
>> change just because an observer happens to fire his rocket engine.

>>>Different components for x and y only signifies
>>>what you said before, that direction in space
>>>is not absolute. The same applies to z, y, z, t
>>>components in the spacetime of GR.
>>
>> 't' doesn't have a spatial direction.
>
>Inventing more things for me to say Henri?
>At no time did I suggest 't' was spatial.

The 't' in GR is actually 'ct' (c=1) which has the dimensions of length. It is
a length described in terms of the time light takes to travel that length if
moving at c.

It is NOT spacetime. It is spacespace.

>George

HW.
www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/index.htm

Sometimes I feel like a complete failure.
The most useful thing I have ever done is prove Einstein wrong.
From: Henri Wilson on
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:20:23 +0200, "Paul B. Andersen"
<paul.b.andersen(a)deletethishia.no> wrote:

>Henri Wilson wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:12:44 +0200, "Paul B. Andersen"
>> <paul.b.andersen(a)deletethishia.no> wrote:
>>

>>>So we can conclude that the number of persons considering
>>>the WCHs to be a serious proposition is zero.
>>

>> Anyone who can conclude that little planet Earth is the centre of the universe
>> as far as all starlight is concerned should be able to conclude just about
>> anything.
>
>I see.
>So you have come to the conclusion "that little planet Earth is
>the centre of the universe as far as all starlight is concerned",
>and think that you might as well believe in WCHs.
>
>You are living in Wonderland, aren't you?

Message ignored.

Andersen obviously drunk again!