From: Han de Bruijn on
David Kastrup wrote:

> Cantor's work leads to quite unintuitive results, while still
> being quite accessible to the layman. It has met opposition from
> mathematically competent opponents at its time but has, partly
> connected with changes in set theory, been made an integral part
> of today's mathematics. While "anti-Cantorians" make themselves
> quite visible on Usenet groups, they are actually few but
> prolific, with a non-mathematical background, and unable to put
> forward a coherent argument. Remarkably prevalent among them is
> the inability to understand nested quantifiers.

Non-mathematical background ? Look at yourself ! You claim that you know
something about Numerical Analysis, while it is quite clear from your
postings that you don't even have a clue.

Han de Bruijn

From: Dave Seaman on
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:52:39 +0200, Han de Bruijn wrote:
> David Kastrup wrote:

>> Cantor's work leads to quite unintuitive results, while still
>> being quite accessible to the layman. It has met opposition from
>> mathematically competent opponents at its time but has, partly
>> connected with changes in set theory, been made an integral part
>> of today's mathematics. While "anti-Cantorians" make themselves
>> quite visible on Usenet groups, they are actually few but
>> prolific, with a non-mathematical background, and unable to put
>> forward a coherent argument. Remarkably prevalent among them is
>> the inability to understand nested quantifiers.

> Non-mathematical background ? Look at yourself ! You claim that you know
> something about Numerical Analysis, while it is quite clear from your
> postings that you don't even have a clue.

You, on the other hand, have shown that you do not understand the
difference between numerical analysis and mere numerical methods. Hint:
the former includes error analysis.

--
Dave Seaman
Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.
From: David Kastrup on
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Cantor's work leads to quite unintuitive results, while still
>> being quite accessible to the layman. It has met opposition from
>> mathematically competent opponents at its time but has, partly
>> connected with changes in set theory, been made an integral part
>> of today's mathematics. While "anti-Cantorians" make themselves
>> quite visible on Usenet groups, they are actually few but
>> prolific, with a non-mathematical background, and unable to put
>> forward a coherent argument. Remarkably prevalent among them is
>> the inability to understand nested quantifiers.
>
> Non-mathematical background ? Look at yourself ! You claim that you know
> something about Numerical Analysis, while it is quite clear from your
> postings that you don't even have a clue.

Actually, I did some course work during my diploma studies. And
helped out on the diploma thesis of a befriended mathematician that
was trying to approximate some recursively defined probability
distributions of piecewise exponential characteristics, proving to her
that her naive approach of Simpson's rule was leading to large
cascading errors (as well as exponentially increasing runtime). She
was not alone with that ill-considered approach: the distribution in
question had been handled that way in literature, taking weeks of
computation time and coming up basically with junk. And yes,
numerical analysis would not have just provided the method (which was
employed here), but also the error estimates. And ignoring them was
what turned this from mathematics into hand-waving.

So we figured out how to do this semi-symbolically (this was before
the widespread advent of symbolic calculation) by using combined
exponentials and polynomials, and _useful_ results (namely with
controllable errors) dropped out after few minutes of runtime (the
symbolic expressions had a few hundred terms, reasonably fast to
evaluate, but infeasible for manual calculation).

In my engineering studies and diploma thesis, I also had to work a lot
with error propagation in sliding-window Fourier transforms and
synthesis, and I also did quite a bit of fixed and floating point
arithmetic applications as a programmer where error estimates were
important.

From: sradhakr on

Dear Prof. Montgomery-Smith,

The Cantorian viewpoint has been seriously challenged by my newly
proposed logic NAFL (Int. J. Quant. Inf., vol. 3, No. 1 (2005), pp.
263-267; see also <http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00001923/>,
math.LO/0506475, cs.LO/0411094, quant-ph/0504115. Please see my

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> david petry wrote:
> > I'm in the process of writing an article about
> > objections to Cantor's Theory, which I plan to contribute
> > to the Wikipedia. I would be interested in having
> > some intelligent feedback. Here' the article so far.
>

> I have to admit that I don't follow the anti-Cantorian arguments very
> much, but when I do, I get the sense that they lack coherence, and
> perhaps they lack even intellectual honesty.

I submit that it is the Cantorians who are intellectually dishonest,
for they have failed to respond to my arguments presented in the above
REFEREED, PUBLISHED work. For that matter, I don't think that refereed
publications are essential in this day and age of instant electronic
communication. If significant claims are posted to respectable
electronic archives like the arXiv and the PhilSci Archive, then the
academic community has a duty to respond, if only to correct any
misunderstandings that may arise due to the wide reach of these
archives.

> I can see Kronecker's point of view, which I guess is that Cantor's
> theories depends upon the existence of mathematical objects that don't
> seem to exist in real life (e.g. what is a real number, really?). If
> the anti-Cantorians argued at this level, I think that I would
> essentially be in agreement with them. I also think that the
> pro-Cantorians and anti-Cantorians could co-exist side by side, holding
> different philosophies as to what mathematics represents, but agreeing
> upon its practical consequences.
>
> But I find that anti-Cantorians try to say something quite different,
> which is that the Cantorian position is logically wrong. This is
> clearly absurd, unless you change the laws of logic, and since they are
> currently working well, and no-one is able to come up with something
> different and sane, why change them?
>
> I had this experience when I tried to enter into a discussion with an
> anti-Cantorian about how perhaps the Cantor approach is helpful in
> telling us that we don't need to be searching for a halting function,
> since a Cantor/Turing style argument shows that they don't exist. But
> the response I got from this person wasn't even wrong - it was shear
> nonsense, and I quickly gave up.
>
> Honestly, I feel that your article about anti-Cantorians is too generous
> towards them, and in the final analysis I would not be supportive of
> Wikipedia accepting such an article. I don't think that
> anti-Cantorianism as I have experienced it is simply a different point
> of view, rather I genuinely believe that those who propose such a
> viewpoint are crackpots.
>
> I hope that you are not yourself an anti-Cantorian whom I have
> inadvertently offended, or if you are I would certainly be interested in
> hearing a non-crackpot approach against Cantor's arguments.
>
> Best, Stephen

The logic NAFL is the correct approach, and not just against Cantor's
arguments; NAFL has important positive aspects, as is clear from my
papers. So far the international academic community has pretended that
NAFL does not exist, rather than answering me point by point. How does
one deal with people who fail to acknowledge the existence of something
as important as a new logic, a new philosophy of mathematical truth, a
new way of doing theoretical science (physics, mathematics, computer
science), etc.? I used to think that maybe it is my fault, maybe NAFL
isn't that important, maybe I haven't explained my ideas clearly, etc.
But not any more. Now that my work has been published, the onus is on
the academic community to honestly evaluate/criticize it and give NAFL
its due. I am assuming, of course, that the academic community consists
of honest, sincere people who are genuinely interested in taking
science forward, rather than merely "protecting turf".

Regards, R. Srinivasan

From: David C. Ullrich on
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:34:45 +0100, Alec McKenzie
<mckenzie(a)despammed.com> wrote:

> "Stephen J. Herschkorn" <sjherschko(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> Can anti-Cantorians identify correctly a flaw in the proof that there
>> exists no enumeration of the subsets of the natural numbers?
>
>In my view the answer to that question a definite "No, they
>can't".
>
>However, the fact that no flaw has yet been correctly identified
>does not lead to a certainty that such a flaw cannot exist. Yet
>that is just what pro-Cantorians appear to be asserting, with no
>justification that I can see.

I once had a person tell me the following, with a straight face:

(*) "You can't say for sure there's no such thing as a square
circle! I mean just because they haven't found one yet doesn't
mean they won't discover one tomorrow."

Please choose one of the following replies:

(i) No, (*) is nonsense. If it's square then _by definition_
it's not a circle. So they will _never_ find a square circle.

(ii) Hmm, good point.

You really should choose one of (i) or (ii), so people know
how to reply to your post. The point: If you say (ii) then
we know that there's no point worrying about anything you
say. Otoh if you say (i) then there's hope - you agree that
we're _certain_ they will never find a square circle, now
we just have to convince you that our assertions about
enumerations of subsets of N are just as certain, for
entirely similar (although slightly more complicated)
reasons.

So which is it, (i) or (ii?

David C. Ullrich
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: Derivations
Next: Simple yet Profound Metatheorem