From: Alec McKenzie on
David Kastrup <dak(a)gnu.org> wrote:

> Alec McKenzie <mckenzie(a)despammed.com> writes:
>
> > David Kastrup <dak(a)gnu.org> wrote:

> >> In a concise 7 line proof? Bloody likely.
> >
> > I doubt it had seven lines, but I really don't know how many.
> > Probably many more than seven.
>
> It was seven lines in my posting. You probably skipped over it.

I see you have misunderstood what I said. You seemed to be
denying that the accepted proof I mentioned (that turned out to
have a flaw) was only seven lines, and I was merely saying that
I didn't know how many lines it had.

--
Alec McKenzie
mckenzie(a)despammed.com
From: Michael Stemper on
In article <1121727755.158001.288300(a)g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, david petry writes:

>Cantor's Theory, if taken seriously, would lead us to believe
>that while the collection of all objects in the world of
>computation is a countable set, and while the collection of all
>identifiable abstractions derived from the world of computation
>is a countable set,

To be consistent with the philosophy that only things that can physically
exist are meaningful, you shouldn't say "countable" here, you should say
"finite".

After all, there are only about 10^78 atoms in the universe, which puts
a very definite (and finite) cap on how many computers there can be. In
addition to that, each of those computers can only be in a finite number
of possible states. Therefore, there's only (by this philosophy) a finite
number of "identifiable abstractions derived from the world of computation",
rather than a countable number, as you stated.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>

From: Jesse F. Hughes on
"Kevin Delaney" <kevind(a)y-intercept.com> writes:

> Transfinite theory was the primary reason for removing the study of
> logic, grammar and arithematic in American public education and
> replacing it with new math.

Fascinating. Got any citations for that?

Wow. Grammar was removed from public education due to Cantor's
theorem. Who'da thunk it?

> There are some who think the world was on a better thread with the
> classical tradition.

There are some who think that one shouldn't make things up and call it
an argument. But they're not as persuasive as you.

[...]

> As pointed out in a different post. The people who are opposed to a
> theory are generally a lot more diverse than those who support
> it. For example, Brouwer was opposed to the law of excluded
> middle. I suspect that others are hoping to pull off a stunt like
> Russell. Russell's early work on the reflexive paradox could be
> considered "anti-Cantorian". Russell's two step catapulted him to
> the top of the intellectual community and led to the decline of
> Frege. I suspect that many people toy with anti-Cantorian thoughts
> because they hope to repeat the trick.

Decline of Frege? Gosh.

Of course, Russell continued to be indebted to Frege and Frege
continues to be a pillar of philosophy of mathematics. Well, not
quite. Frege's reputation grew considerably after his death (and long
after Russell's paradox was discovered), if I understand correctly.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be, and
From: The World Wide Wade on
In article <r3spd1hlkbptf23frc8pnbqgfgsjfst89k(a)4ax.com>,
David C. Ullrich <ullrich(a)math.okstate.edu> wrote:

> I once had a person tell me the following, with a straight face:
>
> (*) "You can't say for sure there's no such thing as a square
> circle! I mean just because they haven't found one yet doesn't
> mean they won't discover one tomorrow."
>
> Please choose one of the following replies:
>
> (i) No, (*) is nonsense. If it's square then _by definition_
> it's not a circle. So they will _never_ find a square circle.
>
> (ii) Hmm, good point.
>
> You really should choose one of (i) or (ii), so people know
> how to reply to your post. The point: If you say (ii) then
> we know that there's no point worrying about anything you
> say. Otoh if you say (i) then there's hope - you agree that
> we're _certain_ they will never find a square circle, now
> we just have to convince you that our assertions about
> enumerations of subsets of N are just as certain, for
> entirely similar (although slightly more complicated)
> reasons.

You need to modify (i) because the definition of a square nowhere
specifies a square is not a circle.
From: Kevin Delaney on
The classical method (Scholastic) method of education leaned primarily
on teaching grammar, logic, arithemetic and rhetoric.

The modern era felt that these were all artificial edifaces. There was
a concerted effort to pull these subjects out of the schools. They were
there. They were not there when I went to school.

You can verify this if you look at the standard school curriculum in
say 1900 and compare it to the curriculum in, say, the 1970s. I used to
do stupid things like look up the different books that were taught at
different times to try and see how different eras would see the world.

Transfinite theory is not the only manifestation of modern thinking.
So, I am not saying that transfinite theory alone was the cause for
this transformation. The basic idea was that traditional logic, grammar
and arithematic were part of this horrible weight keeping people down,
and that we would transcend to a higher level of existence.

Citing all the places where people attacked classical education would
take several years. It is pretty much a fact that in the modern times
there was one curriculum replaced by another curriculum. In some cases
it was a postive thing, curriculums always need improvement and
adjustment. The problem with a wholesale replacement is that you end up
losing the promising threads of the previous curriculum.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: Derivations
Next: Simple yet Profound Metatheorem