From: Rainer Weikusat on
I'm presently working on racoon in order to add some simple extensions
to be used together with some software which is supposed to
dynamically generate netfilter rules based on mapping 'users' (which
may be parts of 'groups') to IPv4 addresses (having been assigned as
part of ISAKMP mode configuration). At least the daemon sources (of
the 'ipsec-tools' package) seem to be completely written with K&R
style function prologues, eg

struct ph1handle *
getph1byindex(index)
isakmp_index *index;
[src/racoon/handler.c]

And there is a lot of code in use which is significantly older than
that, eg, the OpenVision stuff in Kerberos (same style).
From: Eric Sosman on
On 7/6/2010 3:54 PM, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> I'm presently working on racoon in order to add some simple extensions
> to be used together with some software which is supposed to
> dynamically generate netfilter rules based on mapping 'users' (which
> may be parts of 'groups') to IPv4 addresses (having been assigned as
> part of ISAKMP mode configuration). At least the daemon sources (of
> the 'ipsec-tools' package) seem to be completely written with K&R
> style function prologues, eg
>
> struct ph1handle *
> getph1byindex(index)
> isakmp_index *index;
> [src/racoon/handler.c]
>
> And there is a lot of code in use which is significantly older than
> that, eg, the OpenVision stuff in Kerberos (same style).

According to Wikipedia, racoon is part of the KAME project, an
effort that got its start

.... (May I have the envelope, please?) ...

NINE YEARS after the adoption of the ANSI C Standard, and the
introduction of function prototypes to the language. One wonders
what other deliberate backwardnesses the authors indulged in, and
wonders whether it might be time to turn this raccoon into a coat.

Good luck -- I have a feeling you may need it ...

--
Eric Sosman
esosman(a)ieee-dot-org.invalid