From: neil on
Hi, I found a operating system kernel written (apparently) in mainly
C++. it's called unixlite and I got the source from sourceforge.

I'm interested in learning about operating systems and have Tanebaums
operating systems book on minix which is mainly coded in c.
So I'm really excited to have found a C++ kernel and hope to get it
running on an old laptop. I was just wondering if any of you guys have
experimented with unixlite as there does not seem to be any
documentation on it apart from the source code.
How can I create a bootable cd image for it??
From: neil on
On 29/07/2010 15:58, neil wrote:
> Hi, I found a operating system kernel written (apparently) in mainly
> C++. it's called unixlite and I got the source from sourceforge.
>
> I'm interested in learning about operating systems and have Tanebaums
> operating systems book on minix which is mainly coded in c.
> So I'm really excited to have found a C++ kernel and hope to get it
> running on an old laptop. I was just wondering if any of you guys have
> experimented with unixlite as there does not seem to be any
> documentation on it apart from the source code.
> How can I create a bootable cd image for it??

can anybody help with this or direct me to an appropriate forum to ask?
From: Geoff on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:38:27 +0100, neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:

>On 29/07/2010 15:58, neil wrote:
>> Hi, I found a operating system kernel written (apparently) in mainly
>> C++. it's called unixlite and I got the source from sourceforge.
>>
>> I'm interested in learning about operating systems and have Tanebaums
>> operating systems book on minix which is mainly coded in c.
>> So I'm really excited to have found a C++ kernel and hope to get it
>> running on an old laptop. I was just wondering if any of you guys have
>> experimented with unixlite as there does not seem to be any
>> documentation on it apart from the source code.
>> How can I create a bootable cd image for it??
>
>can anybody help with this or direct me to an appropriate forum to ask?

The comp.os.linux.* hierarchy is the obvious place to look for linux
support.

comp.os.minix

http://www.minix3.org/

These packages are usually delivered as a .iso file which can be
expanded onto a CD ROM or flash drive for booting the system or
installation onto a hard drive. You may also be able to run them in a
VM. The minix system also can be booted from floppy which loads the CD
system for older systems that can't boot CD directly.

From: neil on
On 30/07/2010 18:06, Geoff wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:38:27 +0100, neil<invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
>
>> On 29/07/2010 15:58, neil wrote:
>>> Hi, I found a operating system kernel written (apparently) in mainly
>>> C++. it's called unixlite and I got the source from sourceforge.
>>>
>>> I'm interested in learning about operating systems and have Tanebaums
>>> operating systems book on minix which is mainly coded in c.
>>> So I'm really excited to have found a C++ kernel and hope to get it
>>> running on an old laptop. I was just wondering if any of you guys have
>>> experimented with unixlite as there does not seem to be any
>>> documentation on it apart from the source code.
>>> How can I create a bootable cd image for it??
>>
>> can anybody help with this or direct me to an appropriate forum to ask?
>
> The comp.os.linux.* hierarchy is the obvious place to look for linux
> support.
>
> comp.os.minix
>
> http://www.minix3.org/
>
> These packages are usually delivered as a .iso file which can be
> expanded onto a CD ROM or flash drive for booting the system or
> installation onto a hard drive. You may also be able to run them in a
> VM. The minix system also can be booted from floppy which loads the CD
> system for older systems that can't boot CD directly.

There is no .iso or installer. its just a barebones kernel source
written in c++. Im not even sure if i need to compile this thing first.

maybe the minix people can help, although its not minix, someone might
be able to give me some advice.
thanks
From: Geoff on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:33:23 +0100, neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:

>On 30/07/2010 18:06, Geoff wrote:

>>> can anybody help with this or direct me to an appropriate forum to ask?
>>
>> The comp.os.linux.* hierarchy is the obvious place to look for linux
>> support.
>>
>> comp.os.minix
>>
>> http://www.minix3.org/
>>
>> These packages are usually delivered as a .iso file which can be
>> expanded onto a CD ROM or flash drive for booting the system or
>> installation onto a hard drive. You may also be able to run them in a
>> VM. The minix system also can be booted from floppy which loads the CD
>> system for older systems that can't boot CD directly.
>>

>There is no .iso or installer. its just a barebones kernel source
>written in c++. Im not even sure if i need to compile this thing first.
>
>maybe the minix people can help, although its not minix, someone might
>be able to give me some advice.
>thanks

The minix3 site has an ISO file you can download.

Pages: 1
Prev: Object oriented c++?
Next: Windows and Linux Tips