From: Colin Paul Gloster on
For people hoping that this subthread has something to do with Ada: it
does not.

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Ludovic Brenta sent:

"Nicolas Cóilin Paul de Gloucester wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) sent:
>
> |---------------------------------------|
> |"> Box design: (c) Colin Paul Gloster."|
> |---------------------------------------|

This box design is a nuisance to me;"

It can be difficult to please everyone all the time.

" I don't want to have to teach
emacs how to fill a boxed paragraph in gnus; M-q fills paragraphs
beginning with most quoting characters (>, !, |, etc.) [..]
[..]"

They are not quoting characters. One is a symbol for greater than. One
is an exclamation mark. One looks like a line segment in many fonts
but is often denoted by two line segments on a keyboard.

"> Nicolas Cóilin Paul de Gloucester to you.

> Actually I did not invent it, but thank you for a bit of fun.
>
> |---------------------------------------|
> |"(was confused with names)"            |
> |---------------------------------------|
>
> Francophones had been historically noted for being confused by names,
> not least of all Gaelic names.

That's your fault."

I do not like to be blamed for things done by people who died hundreds
of years before I ever existed. It is not my fault that despite
transliterating a Greek sigma to an s, Francophones omit the s when
trying to pronounce Nicolas.

It is not my fault that Normans (well, ex-Normans now since they died
hundreds of years ago) after an invasion thought that it would be a
cute form of integration with local people to misuse the name Cóilin
as an alternative to Colin when talking about someone (anyone) named
Nicholas. How about blaming me for Nicola in English being pronounced
differently (and being for a different gender) than Nicola in Italian,
or for Nicola in Italian being pronounced differently than Nicolas?

Would you like to blame me for Francophones confusing the Latin name
Margaret (shown here spelt in English) with Daisy? How about blaming
me for the time (when I was alive) when a Dutch newspaper (which I
never worked nor wrote for) identified someone called Margaret with an
English adaptation of a Gaelic form of the name in an otherwise
Dutch article?

" How many different names"

I only ever post under one name.

" or spellings thereof do
you post under? Just in the past 24 hours I've seen variations like:

Colin Paul Gloster
Nicolas Cóilin Paul Gloucester
Nicolas Collin Paul de Gloucester
Nicolas Cóilin Paul de Gloucester
Nicholas Cóilin Paul de Gloucester"

A few.

"So, is your name really a regexp?"

I do not own the name. It existed long before I did.

" Is this one in extended syntax
correct?
(Nich?olas)|(C[óo]l?lin) Paul (de)? Glo(uce)?ster"

No.

"How about just "Paul""

No. Just restricting it to English, Paul can be spelt as Paley. Still
restricting it to English, Paul can be spelt with none of P; a; and u.

" which seems to be the only constant?"

The name is constant.

From,
me