From: Robin on
Wondering, what are some of the uses for ada, what is it for, why is
it better than other languages.....this is.
-R
From: Jeffrey R. Carter on
Robin wrote:
> Wondering, what are some of the uses for ada, what is it for, why is
> it better than other languages.....this is.

Ada is for SW you want to be correct. It's better for me because it is a
language for SW engineers rather than for coders.

--
Jeff Carter
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
From: nobody on
Robin wrote:
> Wondering, what are some of the uses for ada, what is it for
I use it for programming

>, why is it better than other languages
Because I know it better than most other languages

From: Gautier write-only on
Robin:
Here are some: http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html

> what is it for,
Anything - from very serious things, to things not serious at all!

> why is it better than other languages.....this is.
Is it ? Perhaps. For me it is the sum of many details which in total
make a big difference.
Generally, it is made to catch your errors the earliest possible. You
also notice potential errors more often. It begins with the fact that
you have:
end if;
end loop;
end if;
and not brackets. You even don't write some classic "banana skins" in
the first place: steps in the "for" instruction are only 1 or -1. Ada
offers plenty of attributes which make life easier as well: you'll
write "for i in x'Range loop" rather than having to pass a 'n' integer
and putting the wrong upper bound on your loop. And so on...

Then, features are fairly orthogonal.
- you are not forced to use references and pointers if you don't need
them. If you want, you can make a full object-oriented GUI without any
dynamic allocation on GUI objects.
- the type system is not bound to the modularity (package /= class)
- you can make "a:= b" whatever the complexity of a (and b's) type
- you write "if a = b then..." to compare two integers, or two
matrices, or anything else as well: for instance, the whole contents
of a dialog box before and after user changes, to check if there is
any.
- you have expressions for every type

Then, the nesting is very powerful in Ada. It's definitely not a
"flat" language.
You can have a package inside a function you need it. Define a local
procedure inside a loop. And so on.
Gautier's Ada programming -- http://sf.net/users/gdemont/
NB: For a direct answer, e-mail address on the following web site:
http://www.fechtenafz.ethz.ch/wm_email.htm

From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
On 6/8/2010 6:06 PM, Gautier write-only wrote:

> you'll
> write "for i in x'Range loop" rather than having to pass a 'n' integer
> and putting the wrong upper bound on your loop. And so on...

Along the same thought, I like that in Ada one can easily define an
array to start from 0 instead from 1. Depending on the problem. This can
make the coding much simpler. (less chance of making one-off error).

In other languages, arrays starts from either 1 or 0.

--Nasser