From: Ludovic Brenta on
Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:21:07 +0200, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> > But Ada is not always my first choice for solving a problem.  When I
> > solve system administration tasks, I often use Bash.
>
> Huh, what about bash arrays. Aren't they just great? What about a variable
> modified in the loop dealing with a pipe? Nice thing, lot of fun.
> Processing double quotation marks in the bodies of strings. Just delicious!
>
> If there were Ada interpreter for Linux I would never use bash. But even
> without it, each time I write a script I must later admit, that it would be
> better and *quicker* to use a full-blown Ada program instead.

There exists such an interpreter, it is called BUSH (BUsiness SHell):

http://www.pegasoft.ca/bush.html

I've been toying with the idea of packaging it for Debian but never
got around to it, so I still use bash on the command line and dash for
scripts. However, if I ever need something as sophisticated as an
array, I immediately switch to Ada.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: J-P. Rosen on
Dmitry A. Kazakov a �crit :

> If there were Ada interpreter for Linux I would never use bash. But even
> without it, each time I write a script I must later admit, that it would be
> better and *quicker* to use a full-blown Ada program instead.

Your dreams have come true, and for quite some time. Heard about BUSH?
http://www.pegasoft.ca/docs/bushintro.html

J-P. Rosen (rosen(a)adalog.fr)
From: Robin on

nobody wrote:
> Robin wrote:
> > Wondering, what are some of the uses for ada, what is it for
> I use it for programming
>
> >, why is it better than other languages
> Because I know it better than most other languages

cheer up, don't be mean....

-r