From: RJK on

"John McGaw" <nowhere(a)at.all> wrote in message
> Just got done installing the latest patch to fix whatever deadly IE hole
> it was that allowed the Google attack. Five machines. 1 Win 7 and 4 XP
> Pro. After doing the mandatory reboots at the end two of the XP machines
> wound up with destroyed profiles. It seems that nobody at MS bothered to
> test (test? what is test?) the process of installing the patch and
> rebooting via remote desktop -- the way I routinely perform all tasks on
> machines outside my office. I wasn't alerted to that situation, having had
> years of random mysterious profile corruptions occurring, before I tried
> to log into the second machine and had it go belly up too. Made my way the
> the other two XP machines personally and logged in and they survived.
>
> So I guess I'll be spending even more time trying to recover from
> something which should never have been allowed to happen in the first
> place. Leaves me wondering what will happen if MS ever gets around to
> trying to patch that ancient hole which has been around since NT days and
> which exists in all operating systems ever since. They could wind up
> bringing on the apocalypse.

IOW MS quality is rapidly shooting down the plug-hole ! Someone, in this
NG I think, recently commented, in as many words, that since Bill Gates
left the "helm," MS is nothing more than a "money making enterprise," and
after spending time recently banishing a stubborn ATDMT data-tracking
cookie, and tracing its' stubborness to a registry key that was persistently
letting in that ATDMT cookie via Ms's Live / Hotmail account + "Bing" IE8
search plug-in ....I tend to agree !!!

regards, Richard