From: Heinz Grau on
some time ago, I bought a new PC with Win XP (had still Win 98 on the old
machine). My old HP5370C Scanner works well with it, using software and
drivers available on the HP website (sj666ge.exe und sj700ge.exe, HP
Precision Scan Pro). I did not use the Photo Negative function on the new
machine so far, and now when I would need it, I just see that the button is
not active. I tried everything, deinstalled, reinstalled, no use. The
transparency adapter is connected and works. Help is very much appreciated.

Thanks Heinz

From: Barry Watzman on
On my 5470C, it only becomes active when the TMA (transparency adapter)
is connected.

That said, you really don't want to use that scanner for slides or
negatives, the results are just not very good. You will get better
results with a dedicated film scanner (any of the Nikon scanners from
the LS-2000 or LS-30 (Cool Scan III) series or later) or most of the
later Epson flatbed scanners.

From: Heinz Grau on
Thank you Barry, I know, I know. For quality prints, I still have a wet lab.
And for somewhat better results on 24x36 mm negs, I use a Minolta Elite
5400, which is not suitable for MF and LF negs. Those, I used to scan
instead of contact prints, to have a reference "in digital".

Yes, the transparency adapter is connected and works. I did some
experimenting with Vuescan with $$acc$$ept$$able$$ results. That means the
hardware is o.k., the problem must be in the HP Software, which I'm used to
and would prefer not to change (you know... you can't teach an old dog new
tricks...).