From: Howard Brazee on
On Tue, 18 May 2010 16:42:26 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>Ignoring, for the nonce, the Accepted Wisdom of 'for illegal aliens even
>the worst day Over Here is better than the best day Back Home' perhaps the
>best disincentive is economic: get caught hiring illegals for work, lose
>your license to do business, with appropriate 'detention' of office
>equipment (computers, file cabinets, bank ledgers, etc.)
>
>Oh... they had good, fake papers? All right, let Justice use a gentle
>hand and have your license to do business suspended for only six months...
>with appropriate 'detention' of office equipment (etc).

Making small business liable for both believing papers are valid and
for laws against discriminating is pretty expensive. If the state
really wants to stop illegal immigration, it should provide smart &
easy validation. Help small business. Make it easy and safe to
hire workers.

In our industry, things are different. Companies wanting high tech
skills can pay for lawyers to get the foreign employees they want.
This gets rid of the "what part of illegal don't you understand", as
money talks.

That said - when the average person who is afraid of the changes that
have occurred sees someone talking with an accent - it doesn't matter
whether that person is paying for our retirement - he's someone to
blame for things being different from what we expected. Hate
groups know this and exaggerate the costs and minimize the benefits.

The U.S. has a younger workforce than most (if not all) other 1st
world countries - which will help us survive the Baby Boom pensions.
As we move into retirement homes, we will want cheap labor taking care
of us, workers paying into social security, and an economy supporting
our private pensions.

- James Madison