From: Pennywise on

I check out google for this group, deleted a mess of 2009 messages, and
nothing new showed up, but Agent 1.93 doesn't like the 64bit system; only
thing that I came across with the same problem was a AMD with a driver
problem, and one addressing a licenses problem.

I just built a new system, P6X85D, i7-930, dual booting XPro 32 which I've
used forever, it was last used on a P4 - 915 (HT) 3Ghz, It showed 2 cpu's all
the time; the cpu and the thread. and a new XP 64bit OS.

I've always dual booted, Win95/NT since day one, very nice and a great back
door for problems.

The problem is the 32 bit system only shows one CPU, I think the first of four
(8 with threads). Task manager is set up to show multiple cpu's.

Xp64 shows all 8 cpu's or 4 cores and threads. No problems here.

Any clue why XP32 only shows one cpu?

FWIW - this bothers me but it's working. It show up on both systems.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment]
"NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS"="8" (XP32 shows "1" everything else is the same.)
"OS"="Windows_NT"
"PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE"="AMD64"
"PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER"="EM64T Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel"
"PROCESSOR_LEVEL"="6"
"PROCESSOR_REVISION"="1a05"

Xp64 installer (shows among other things)
Inf supports 64 bit.
Manufacturer = INTEL_SYS,NTAMD64
Resolved Manufacturer = INTEL_SYS.NTAMD64

Xp32bit installer
Inf supports 64 bit.
Manufacturer = INTEL_SYS,NTAMD64
Resolved Manufacturer = INTEL_SYS

Any clues or help, would be appreciated.
This is the first place I've asked this question. So really don't know what
else to say.
TIA

--

Timing is everything
http://i46.tinypic.com/wvydnd.jpg (gif)
From: Bobby Johnson on
So why are you asking about your 32-bit XP in a 64-bit OS group?

I recommend you check out the website of the manufacturer for possible
clues and solutions.

From: Charlie Russel-MVP on
The problem is your 32-bit OS will only recognize a single CPU. If you
didn't install it for multiple CPUs initially, that's all you get. (And you
aren't clear which 32-bit OS you're talking about here, either. Some won't
recognize more than a single CPU, some won't recognize more than one unless
you explicitly install the multi-CPU kernel.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

From: michael.mullen on
Bobby Johnson <rjohnson(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
(Edited for readability)

>On 2010-07-23 06:46, Pennywise(a)DerryMaine.Gov wrote:
>>
>> The problem is the 32 bit system only shows one CPU, I think the first of four
>> (8 with threads). Task manager is set up to show multiple cpu's.

>> Xp64 shows all 8 cpu's or 4 cores and threads. No problems here.

>> Any clue why XP32 only shows one cpu?

>So why are you asking about your 32-bit XP in a 64-bit OS group?

Didn't even think about it, everything I do anymore is 64 bit. Plus if anybody
is running XP64bit they have a good chance of knowing about a 32 bit problem.

>I recommend you check out the website of the manufacturer for possible
>clues and solutions.

I do better on the newsgroups, Plus I've done those checks already, and not
from websites of Intel and Microsoft. There are better sites for this.

But thank for the input.

--

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/1k-project-ii/12321
From: michael.mullen on
"Charlie Russel-MVP" <charlie(a)mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:

>The problem is your 32-bit OS will only recognize a single CPU. If you
>didn't install it for multiple CPUs initially, that's all you get. (And you
>aren't clear which 32-bit OS you're talking about here, either. Some won't
>recognize more than a single CPU, some won't recognize more than one unless
>you explicitly install the multi-CPU kernel.

That actually helps, I've run into phrase "ACPI uniprocessor system" it's a
mess to track it down, so I backed off in hopes of a simpler path.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283/en-us

It was a new install, XP pro SP3, never asked about the Prescott chip; figured
it would notice a quad core. Hey sometimes you have to load and hope, google
if it goes bad :)

Thanks for the reply.

--

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/1k-project-ii/12321