From: justsimplequestions on
Environment is Exchange 2003 SP2 running on Windows 2003 Server as
member server. 3 stores each having 3 databases.

I have one database in one of the stores that seems to have a problem
resulting in the entire store not getting backed up - causing the log
files to be increasing in size rapidly and disk space running out
quickly.

The problem seems to have occurred two days ago and the only thing
that was done was that another database on a different store was
setup? I am using NTbackup and this is the error being generated in
the log file:

Backup started on 3/14/2007 at 10:00 PM.
The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
function call (d).

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call
(d).

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
The operation was ended.

The Event Viewer then displays the following error events:

8019 - End Operation: Warnings or errors were encountered.
Consult the backup report for more details.

8001 - End Backup of 'EXSVR\Microsoft Information Store\SG2' 'Warnings
or errors were encountered.'

Verify: On
Mode: Append
Type: Normal

As mentioned earlier, there are 3 databases on this store and i have
been able to pinpoint the one causing the problem by running a backup
of each database and the backup fails on one particular database.

The best option I have thought of is to enable circular logging on
this store, and move mailboxes to another database in the same store
until the problematic mailbox fails to move at which point i can
resolve by exporting to a pst then deleting the mailbox. There are
approximately 100 maiboxes on this database so the only issue is the
time it will take to move the mailboxes.

Can someone please give some help on how to rectify this critical
problem or any other method that would be better and of course and
advice that might be useful.

Many thanks in advance.

From: Simon Walsh on
Don't turn on circular logging.
Move your users off to a new store. Then delete and recreate the DB files on
the old store.

/Simon

From: justsimplequestions on
On Mar 15, 1:45 pm, "Simon Walsh" <simon.wa...(a)nospam.kerfi.com>
wrote:
> Don't turn on circular logging.
> Move your users off to a new store. Then delete and recreate the DB files on
> the old store.
>
> /Simon"justsimplequestions" <sigmatechnol...(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message

> > Environment is Exchange 2003 SP2 running on Windows 2003 Server as
> > member server. 3 stores each having 3 databases.
>
> > I have one database in one of the stores that seems to have a problem
> > resulting in the entire store not getting backed up - causing the log
> > files to be increasing in size rapidly and disk space running out
> > quickly.
>
> > The problem seems to have occurred two days ago and the only thing
> > that was done was that another database on a different store was
> > setup? I am using NTbackup and this is the error being generated in
> > the log file:
>
> > Backup started on 3/14/2007 at 10:00 PM.
> > The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
> > function call (d).
>
> > ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
> > Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call
> > (d).
>
> > ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
> > The operation was ended.
>
> > The Event Viewer then displays the following error events:
>
> > 8019 - End Operation: Warnings or errors were encountered.
> > Consult the backup report for more details.
>
> > 8001 - End Backup of 'EXSVR\Microsoft Information Store\SG2' 'Warnings
> > or errors were encountered.'
>
> > Verify: On
> > Mode: Append
> > Type: Normal
>
> > As mentioned earlier, there are 3 databases on this store and i have
> > been able to pinpoint the one causing the problem by running a backup
> > of each database and the backup fails on one particular database.
>
> > The best option I have thought of is to enable circular logging on
> > this store, and move mailboxes to another database in the same store
> > until the problematic mailbox fails to move at which point i can
> > resolve by exporting to a pst then deleting the mailbox. There are
> > approximately 100 maiboxes on this database so the only issue is the
> > time it will take to move the mailboxes.
>
> > Can someone please give some help on how to rectify this critical
> > problem or any other method that would be better and of course and
> > advice that might be useful.
>
> > Many thanks in advance.

The only concern will be that the logs will get really huge and we are
already low on disk space where the logs are kept. On what disk will
the log files get generated when moving mailboxes? Will it be the
destination stores log files increase or the residing stores log
files? Thanks.

From: Simon Walsh on
You have one set of log files per storage group. So if you do a move mailbox
from SG1\MBX1 to SG2\mbx1 there will be lots of log files generate for SG2.

What does your storage group and database design look like today?
Do you have any way of getting more disk into this machine temporarily?

From: Oliver Moazzezi on
Personally before yanking users out to a new database i'd reboot the
Server..

Oliver